danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Meet Jennifer Booher: PUDM Committee Member

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

HC Purdue: What’s your year and major and can you tell us about yourself?

Jennifer: I’m currently freshman and I’m a hospitality and tourism management major. I’m also pretty involved around campus! Currently I’m working as a volunteer for Black tie dinner, in the Hospitality and tourism management society, was a Purdue Career Fair Ambassador, and was just accepted to be a mentor for health and human science freshman next year

HC Purdue: How did you become involved with Dance Marathon?

Jennifer: My high school was very involved with it. We had the largest dance marathon in the nation. It was a huge thing that a lot of kids in the school were always involved with and a lot of our fundraisers were centered around dance marathon.

HC Purdue: Can you explain what it is for people that don’t know?

Jennifer: It’s an 18 hour long marathon that goes through the night to raise money for Riley Hospital for Children. Not everything is involved with dancing but you’re not allowed to sit down and that may seem a little difficult but it’s because in a sense, it’s designed to show you that the pain and exhaustion you feel that night is what the kids at Riley feel every day. It’s very symbolic for what the kids go through and it reminds us why we’re doing this.

HC Purdue: What’s your favorite part about PUDM?

Jennifer: During the marathon they have speakers come who have been impacted by Riley, either themselves or by a family member/friend so it would have to be hearing their stories and knowing that we’re making a real difference for people. It’s such a great and rewarding feeling to see that this marathon is actually making a great difference in the world. At the end when they reveal the money raised, it makes all 18 hours of standing worth it especially after hearing the stories.

HC Purdue: What committee are you on?

Jennifer: I’m on the special events committee

HC Purdue: Why did you decide to join a committee?

Jennifer: Because by pinging a committee you have a bigger role with PUDM. You have a bigger impact on the actual marathon and making sure that everything runs smoothly and that we’re attaining the goal set. It’s a great thing to be apart of and I’m really happy I joined a committee

HC Purdue: How has that affected your experience at Purdue?

Jennifer: PUDM is the largest student run organization on campus so I’ve gotten to meet some really genuine people. It makes Purdue’s large campus seem a little smaller and I’ve loved getting to meet people that have the same passion for PUDM as I do.

Hannah is a freshman at Purdue who is currently undecided but thinking about Pre-Med. She's an avid coffee and mountain lover. Her interests include photography,writing, and traveling. When she's not spending her day watching Netflix (probably Gossip Girl), you can find her exploring new places or reading. Follow her daily life on Instagram at hannah_skylar_
Jennifer Rowella is from Ridgefield, Connecticut. She is a junior at Purdue University studying Speech, Language, and Hearing sciences and is the Senior Editor of Her Campus Purdue. Jennifer enjoys reading, cooking, watching too many episodes of Criminal Minds on Netflix, and being a part of various clubs on campus.