This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

We’re currently living in a time where technology and media surround us on a constant basis. Almost everything we do each day has some sort of technological influence—from checking the weather app to see how you should dress for the day, to scrolling through TikTok to fill the time. And with how accessible social media is for a wider age range than ever before, it becomes just as easy to spread misinformation. 

You might see a news headline or quotes without context on social media and be inclined to accept them as fact, and with the increased usage of artificial intelligence on these platforms, plagiarism and doctored images only further complicate the sharing of information. 

But, how do you protect yourself from misinformation? This is where media literacy comes in—being able to apply these skills in your day-to-day life is critical if you want to make sure the information you retain is accurate. Being able to look beyond the surface and understand the various elements that are at play when it comes to the media is the best way to navigate our technology-abundant lives. 

So, the next time you’re reading the news, watching television, or scrolling through social media, be sure to stay aware of what information you’re consuming. If you want to help improve media literacy across the nation, visit https://medialiteracynow.org to learn who you can contact to implement media literacy education in US high schools. 

Shree Balasubramaniyan is a Purdue student majoring in Communications with a minor in sociology from Redmond, Washington. Apart from her love of writing, she can be found reading, singing with her acapella group, attempting to rock climb at the campus gym, or listening to her intricately designed monthly playlists.