This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

“The best time to wear a striped sweater is all the time.” – SpongeBob Squarepants

There is nothing I love better than the start of the fall season. The air feels crisper, the leaves start to change, and the clothing choices get cozier and cuter. The turn of October has become the start of the holiday season (seriously, I heard Christmas music from the radio last week!).

While the transition of seasons may be a prime time to start shopping for some new clothes, I suggest taking a new approach — your father’s closet.

That’s right ladies forget your shopping carts and Black Friday deals, it’s time to barge into your dad or boyfriend’s closet. The typical “dad” uniform, sweater vest and polo shirt, have become the new fall staple of 2020. If you haven’t seen an oversized sweater vest on Tik Tok or Instagram yet, here is your wakeup call to check out the new trends.

In honor of the fall season, here are some sweater vest ideas for your closet:

1. Sweater vest, white turtleneck, oversized grey or black jeans, doc martens
  2. Sweater vest, white button down, slacks, strappy heels or boot
  3. Sweater vest, polo shirt, white, tan, or blue skirt, white AF1’s
  4. Sweater vest, flowy dress, neutral colored sneakers
  5. Sweater vest, mesh shirt, skinny jeans, black boots

Sweater vests are super versatile and can make any look casual or more dressed up! Play with color, patterns, styles, and fabric types. This fall 2020 trend is all about pushing yourself out of your comfort zone. Have fun and happy fall!

Tori Sonza

Purdue '22

Tori Sonza is a third year student at Purdue University. When she is not making cold brew coffee, shooting film with her Canon F-1, or finding the best deals on Depop or at thrift shops, you can find Tori typing away for next Her Campus article. Tori is the Public Relations Chair for Purdue University Choir, member of the Purdue Filipino Association, and active sister of her Sorority, Delta Delta Delta.