A Letter To My Low Maintenance Best Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

I’ve moved around a lot during my life, and through my experiences I have learned how to make friends. On the flip side, I have just as easily learned how to lose friends. Despite this, I have always admired the friends that stuck with me through the years. As much as I tried to feed and water my relationships, some just didn’t work out. However, there are a few relationships that I have cherished throughout my life.

These friendships are not typical ones. These are my low maintenance best friends. Regardless if we are together, we have learned to maintain our friendships. If you were to see us together, you would never know that we were ever separated. When we are together, it is like nothing has changed. Although hanging out together is the best, we do not need to always be around each other to appreciate our relationship.

Now, when I say low maintenance I don’t mean this to hurt your feelings or to offend you at all. If anything, this is the best compliment you could ever receive from me. It means that while my life is complicated, our relationship is not. In honor of our many years of friendship, and many more years to come, this is for you!

Thank you for sticking with me all these years. Thank you for keeping up with my crazy ever-changing life. I know we may not be in the same city, same state, or even the same country, but I wouldn’t be who I am without you. From some reason, you came into my life and made a positive impact, and I cannot thank you enough. When I used to hear other people talk about their friends I’d get jealous. They would talk about how they were constantly with their friends and how many friends they had. This feeling made me even more thankful for all my friends. No one else’s friends can compete with my amazing group of friends. Instead of being bitter that I can’t always be with my friends, I have decided to appreciate them more. Our friendships may be low maintenance, but that is what makes us so special. I am so happy to have them in my live.

Our relationship is unlike any other. If anything, it is far from normal but this is what I love so much about us. We don’t have to be in the same place for our relationship to thrive. Our phones calls, texts messages and FaceTime calls make up for the physical distance. I love how we can tag each other in silly stuff on the Internet, randomly text each about that weird person from high school, and the surprise FaceTime and phone calls at all hours of the day. So again, thank you for sticking by me through the years. Thank you for being a friend no matter how far apart we live. When we are together, thank you for making it feel like we were never separated.

To the low maintenance friends out there, know that I could not do life without. You are the reason I smile when I have a rough day. You are the reason our friendship is so strong, and you are the reason I believe what we have is the greatest thing. In less cutesy words, thank you for an everlasting friendship that I cherish and hold close to my heart.  Together or separated, we will always be friends.

Jennifer Rowella is from Ridgefield, Connecticut. She is a junior at Purdue University studying Speech, Language, and Hearing sciences and is the Senior Editor of Her Campus Purdue. Jennifer enjoys reading, cooking, watching too many episodes of Criminal Minds on Netflix, and being a part of various clubs on campus.