This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

There are some days we have where you can just feel down for no reason. Maybe you got a bad grade on a test or maybe the weather outside is just putting you down. Whatever the situation may be, there are ways to make yourself more relieved and relaxed during days like these. I like to call these things the ‘little things.’ You never realize how much going on a walk or seeing a cute little puppy can help your mood drastically. Here is a list of some of the ‘little things’ I enjoy doing on sour days.

Go on a walk

Getting out of your house or apartment and getting some fresh air can really help. But what if it’s bad outside? Then just taking a walk around your complex can help too. Getting out of your small, cramped living space can release so much stress you didn’t even know you had.

Find cute baby animals

Right now, I am on the cute baby animal side of TikTok and I couldn’t be happier. Seeing baby animals makes me so happy and releases so much stress that has been sitting on my shoulders for a while. Sure, it’s a short-term relief, but it helps a little if you are wanting some relief for any amount of time.

Eat your favorite meal

Don’t be ashamed when you buy a McDonald’s 10 count nugget meal with a milkshake when you are feeling down. Take care of yourself when you are feeling stressed. If that means eating your favorite food to make you happy, then do it. (of course, don’t do this every time, try to limit yourself to maybe once every two weeks)

Play your favorite game

Another thing I do when I don’t feel myself is hop on Minecraft and play with some friends. I enjoy how my friends and I have our own server and we can all hop on whenever we want, build neighborhoods together, and defeat mobs.

Watch a funny show

Recently, I bought Hulu’s student discount for $1.99 a month, a very good deal! I have been binge watching an old childhood TV show, Adventure Time, to get my mind off school and life in general. Watching a funny show or just your favorite show in general can easily get your mind off things and increase your endorphins, making you, in turn, happier.

It’s ok not to be ok. Having crummy and off days is totally normal. However, if it persists then you should do something about it. Enjoying the ‘little things’ is one thing you can do to help. Just getting fresh air, seeing a cute puppy or kitten, or watching your favorite show can improve your mood by a lot.

Ava Smith

Purdue '23

Hello! My name is Ava Smith. I am a junior studying Advertising and Film Studies. I am from a suburb of Chicago called St. Charles and enjoy all the wonderful parks it has to offer. My hobbies consist of writing, filmmaking, and spontaneous adventures with friends. Currently, I am the Multimedia Manager for Boiler Communication and Social Media Moguel at the Hub on State Street. This is my second year being involved in Her Campus and I am so excited about all the new memories and opportunities I will make this year and for years to come!