Life > Experiences

If you are feeling anxious about the first month of college, read this.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

It’s been some weeks since school started for all of us. It’s been some weeks of new beginnings, moving in, reconnecting with old friends and meeting new ones. New assignments, test schedules and discussion posts (sadly). Social expectations, drama, beef between roommates and anxiety over crushes old and new. The start of a new year in college is definitely challenging, especially leaving our families behind after a long summer of no worries or complications.

Whether you are an incoming freshman or a returning sophomore (or junior or senior), I want this to be your reminder that you are not alone. Your feelings are completely valid, and whatever it is that you are feeling, everyone feels it at some point in their lives. Even though you may think you are the only one among your friends who’s feeling lonely or anxious, it might surprise you how lost everyone truly feels. And that’s perfectly okay: honestly, college is the perfect time to feel lost.

And if you fail a couple of tests, so what? You’ll get a chance to improve your grade, and in the grand scheme of things, a grade won’t rally matter. And if you kiss the wrong guy, so what? Maybe you’ll get heartbroken, maybe you’ll be embarrassed, but you’ll learn from it. And if you mess up your laundry or if you eat too many fries after a night out, or if you forgot about an assignment or if you just really miss your parents, know that it’s all okay. Everything is a learning experience, and none of it will matter in a couple of weeks.

If you’re feeling anxious about college, you’re not alone. If you’re feeling anxious about college, it’s okay. Remember it’s part of your experience, you are the main character of your own life and everything that happens to you is a part of the plot, a part of your character development.

If you’re feeling anxious about college, try not to be. These years fly by, and they will be over before we know it. So try to really enjoy every bit of it, so soak up every detail of your experience. Study hard for your classes, show your friends how much you love them, and remain true to yourself and your passions.

College only happens once. Make the most of it. And if you get a bit anxious along the way, well, remember we all do.

Alessandra is the vice-president of Her Campus at the Purdue chapter. She monitors article progress, ensuring they are uploaded on time and helps solve any problems that may arise. She is currently a senior at Purdue, majoring in Business Management, minoring in English Literature and concentrating in Entrepreneurship and Innovation. Alessandra has worked for Victoria's Secret PINK as a campus ambassador, helping with the marketing and communications of the brand. She is passionate about entertainment and wants to work in the industry after she graduates. In her free time, Alessandra loves doing any kind of sport or physical activity. If she's not surfing, swimming or dancing, you can find her eating pasta, reading, making very specific music playlists, watching movies and traveling everywhere she can.