This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Being a second semester junior I’ve experienced the good, the bad, and the ugly of  relationships. I’ve seen all the cute couple posts on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Snapchat. And here I am single, doing just fine. 

I had a relationship that I thought was perfect. I had a person whom I adored and wanted to post those cute couple photos with. But after a while I took a step back and realized that the relationship was more toxic than I believed. As I went to go chase my dreams, this person could not keep up with me. They could not handle that I am an independent, free spirited woman who wants nothing more than to chase her dreams. As I look back, I understand that being alone is not a bad thing. Being independent and being single is something that everyone needs to experience in college.  

As I continue my last year and a half of college, I’ve come to understand the heartbreak, the love, and the hardship of every relationship I’ve had.  I’ve learned from these experiences and have come to realize that it is okay to be alone. That it is okay to be heartbroken and that it’s okay to be a little wild and crazy. These are the years I will have no regrets. I will not let someone hold me back from enjoying the most out of my life. In the process of discovering myself, I have taken control of my life. I am okay with being single. It has taught me you that loving myself is the best thing I can do, and that no one can tell me otherwise.  

Yes, relationships get messy, and sometimes you need to be by yourself to truly understand who you are as a person. My life isn’t perfect. It’s disorganized, impulsive, and a mixed batch of crazy, but it’s a good life. I have learned to accept the things that were dealt to me and move one step at a time. I am a second semester junior and I’m okay with being single.  

Jennifer Rowella is from Ridgefield, Connecticut. She is a junior at Purdue University studying Speech, Language, and Hearing sciences and is the Senior Editor of Her Campus Purdue. Jennifer enjoys reading, cooking, watching too many episodes of Criminal Minds on Netflix, and being a part of various clubs on campus.