How to Turn Your iOS14 Home Screen into a Vision Board

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

iOS14 is finally out and it includes so many cool features! One of the coolest features, in my opinion, is the ability to add various widgets. Making your iOS14 home screen look aesthetic is trending on TikTok, and I’ve been having so much fun making mine look good. Recently, I decided to make it a vision board that I can look at every day. In this article, I’ll teach you how to do the same!

How to make a vision board

If you don’t have a vision board already, it’s important to understand what makes a good one. Your vision board should speak to you, inspire you, and motivate you to achieve your goals. These goals can be long-term or short-term. If you have no idea where to start, here are some ideas that can help you brainstorm:

Grab a journal or a piece of paper and get comfy. I prefer using a journal so I can reference back to it, though whatever you have on hand should work.

Write down five big things (or more) that are the most important to you and goals for your life/this year. (Ex. Career, Family, Friendship, Abundance, Travel, Skills/Knowledge). Keep it as broad as possible, only 1-2 words. Leave a couple of lines between each word.

Underneath each word, write out a sentence about what you hope to achieve in that category.

Now you have a general idea of what your vision board should include!

Integrating this into iOS14

To integrate this into iOS14, you’ll need a couple apps: WidgetSmith, ColorWidget, PhotoWidget, and Motivation. These apps will make it really easy to construct your board.

First, find pictures you want to use for your vision board! You can download photos from Pinterest, WeHeartIt, and Instagram. Get creative with it! Combine a mix of different quotes and pictures of things that reflect what you want.

Once you’ve downloaded all your pictures, you can start making widgets! Open up PhotoWidget and select a photo to use. To add the widget, simply hold down the home screen and click the plus button in the upper left. Click PhotoWidget, select the size, and place it on your home screen.

If you want your pictures to rotate, add some pictures to its own photo album. Open up WidgetSmith, choose the size you want, tap to edit, select Photo Album, select the respective album and save. You can add this to your home screen the same way.

If you want to add quotes but not sure what to add, Motivation is a good app! The app lets you customize how you want your quotes to look and generates new ones every day. It also has a widget to add to your home screen.

Rearrange your apps until you’re happy with it! Whenever you look at your phone, you will be reminded of the goals you set.

Other things you can add to your home screen

Calendar: You can add a pretty calendar to your home screen using WidgetSmith! You can customize how you want it to look at connect it to your google calendar.

Time and Date: Add a pretty time and date widget with Color Widgets. They have a lot of options to choose from and even let you upload your own background.

Personal pictures: Use PhotoWidget or WidgetSmith to add photos from your camera roll!

Reminders: Set a to-do list using the reminders app so you can make a widget with it for your home screen.

Move Apps Around: If you don’t want an app to show or don’t use it that much, add it to your app library! It declutters your home screen but is still easily accessible when necessary.

Aesthetics: If you want your iPhone to look aesthetic, make sure you choose a theme before you start!

Some things that I added:

• Quotes widget
  • Reminders for the day
  • Calendar, Date and Time widget
  • Rotating picture widget of things I want to achieve
  • Podcast and News widget

Overall, I really enjoy customizing my home screen for iOS. Additionally, it’s crucial to not just know your goals but to visualize them. If you’re having trouble with your home screen, go onto TikTok or YouTube for some inspiration. Click the link below for more information about Apple’s new features:

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-14/

Hey! I'm Natasha, a sophomore at Purdue University studying Computer Science. I'm originally from the Bay Area (California) and enjoy trying new foods, traveling, and doing anything creative! Find me on Instagram: @natashaxrao