Style > Beauty

How to Use Cycle Syncing to Get That Perfect Glow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Maybe you’re asking yourself why you always get pimples right before your period. Or why do you seem to bloat during your menstrual cycle? Well, you’re not the only one. Recently, cycle syncing has taken social media, specifically TikTok,  by storm. Countless videos of how your skin looks during the phases of your cycle each month have been flooding the platform. Cycle syncing goes as far as how your body looks during each phase and what workouts to do to cater to where you are in your cycle. Pro-tip: take it easy during your period. Influencers are even adopting the trend by documenting how they look during each phase. But is it just another wellness trend, or is it something that might actually be the key to achieving flawless skin?

Disclaimer : Cycle syncing only works properly if you’re not affected by any hormonal changes such as certain birth control methods or PCOS.

What is Cycle Syncing?

Okay, but what is cycle syncing? Kayla Kernel, a medical esthetician, describes it as “The method of tailoring your skincare products around your period to better prep your skin for the next big thing your hormones are going to throw at it.” Essentially, it’s tracking your cycle and knowing the dos and don’ts for your skin.

What does it mean?

The menstrual cycle has four phases: menstruation, follicular, ovulation, and the luteal phase. During each phase, your skin switches up and can leave you with some unexpected results.

How to make it work for you

As Kernel explains, when you’re on your period, aka the menstruation phase, your skin may dry. This is due to the decline of estrogen and progesterone, the hormones that keep your skin hydrated. You want to make sure you keep your skin hydrated during this phase. Remembering to put on your moisturizer is an absolute must. And a face mask would definitely help. Look for products with peptides and glycerin to help give your skin that extra boost it needs right now.

After menstruation, the follicular phase is where your skin looks perfect. This is where everything is as it should be, and your hormones are balanced again. Your skin will look extra radiant during this phase, but a glow peel would really seal in that flawless effect you’re looking for. This is the perfect time to embrace your bare face or take some selfies.

Ovulation, the middle phase of your cycle, is where things can start to look rough. Your skin starts to get oily, and the breakouts will pop up before you know it. However, you still have some time left before then. Cutting down on salty foods and exfoliating are essential during this time.

Then, there was one, the luteal phase. This is the culprit to all the pimples you get before your period. During this phase, your skin goes into crisis mode, with breakouts, whiteheads, redness, and acne-prone skin. It’s super important not to skip your night routine during the luteal phase. It’s basically a one-way ticket to a cluster of annoying pimples showing up on your face the next day. Clay masks and pimple patches can help you out during this time. And who doesn’t love a good charcoal mask?

All in all, if you’ve been struggling with your skin, cycle syncing is a great way to get back on track and ace your skincare once again.

Aleyce Green

Purdue '26

Aleyce Green is a sophomore at Purdue University, majoring in Creative Writing and Communication. This is her first year writing for hercampus and she is looking forward to more! She likes to write about anything and everything, however, she leans more towards writing about lifestyle and entertainment such as topics related to manifestation, academics, movies (specifically chickflics and romcoms), and beauty. She hopes to get more into fashion so she can write about that too! This is her first time having her writing published. She also hopes to have some of her fiction published one day as well since she is a creative writing major. Branching more into the world of journalism would also be ideal. When she isn't writing for hercampus, you can find her snuggled up in her dorm room reading a book or binging a tv series. Her latest binge being 'The Summer I Turned Pretty' and 'The Fall of the House of Usher'. Her hobbies include fencing, writing, and spending time with her friends and family.