How to Survive Meeting your Significant Other’s Family

Although it’s nerve wracking and a big step, meeting your significant other’s family is a good thing! For me, I know if I were to introduce someone to my family, it would only be if I knew things were extremely serious between me and the other person, and that we were in it for the long haul. It also means your other half wants to show their family how proud they are to be with you.

Regardless of it being a good thing, meeting your significant other’s family for the first time is definitely taxing on the nerves. It’s normal to have those terrifying butterflies in your stomach, trust me. I was definitely a nervous wreck when I found out that my boyfriend’s family wanted to meet me. Don’t get me wrong, I was excited and wanted to meet them too, but making a good first impression was a huge thing for me.  I wanted them to like me, as I’m sure everyone does when meeting their significant other’s family.

My first time meeting his family was not the typical “oh I’m just going to have dinner with them” ordeal. I actually spent the entire weekend at their house. I mean, I ate, slept, and chilled there for two days. Can you blame a girl for being a nervous wreck after finding out the first time she was going to meet her boyfriend’s family was by staying at their house? Luckily, the meeting ended up going well, and his family was extremely welcoming, nice and fun.  Since my experience was so positive, I came up with a couple of tips and tricks on meeting the family for those of you, who like me, enjoy reading advice.

1. BREATHE!!!

Take a deep breath and get some oxygen to your head. Everything is going to be okay. Just do not forget to breathe.

2. Stay Calm 

Do something calming before you leave to meet the family. Before leaving for the weekend to meet and stay with my boyfriend’s family, I took a shower and ate some food to help ease my nerves.

3. Dress for the occasion, but do so comfortably

Wear something that you feel comfortable in but also appropriately fitting for the environment that you’ll meet the family in. I recommend to dress more on the conservative side because parents and family are generally repelled by a super short hemline that shows off a bit too much.

4. Be Yourself 

Remember, your SO chose you for a reason. It was not random or by chance. Don’t be fake, families can see right through that and can tell if you’re not being yourself. If they’re talking about something that you are unsure of or do not know much about, just relax, sit back, listen and maybe ask them to explain to you. But do not pretend that you know what they’re talking about if you do not know. You will just be digging a hole for yourself that will be hard to get out of.

5. Put away your phone and get out of the corner

Don’t always be on your phone. Be present, not only physically but also mentally. Pay attention to your SO’s family and show some interest. If you’re constantly on your phone, it can be extremely off putting to the family and make you seem disinterested. Get to know your SO’s family and let them get to know you, without your phone.

I hope these tips make you feel less nervous about meeting your SO’s family. Trust me, everything will work out and you will survive!

What was it like meeting your significant other’s family for the first time?

All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.