College Bedroom Cozy Sunflowers Pillows High Res
Lexi Tokarski / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Living in West Lafayette in the winter has to be one of the gloomiest experiences of my life. The weather is constantly cold. The sky is constantly cloudy, and it snows for like five days in a row just to rain on the sixth. It is honestly so much harder to find motivation and keep a positive attitude being in such a gloomy and grey world. That is why I find it especially important to keep my room and living space less gloomy!

Bright living room area with green plants
Timothy Buck

Like I have mentioned before, I live in a sorority. Currently, I live with two other people for a total of three people in a room.

One of our favorite things to do to keep the room less gloomy is to get flowers. Places like Rubia’s flower shop, Walmart, and other local farms have great deals on flowers and succulents. Currently, we have six yellow and pink beautiful tulips, three peaceful succulents, and one happy little leafy plant. They help so much to keep the room happy and increase our positive energy.

window sun curtains plants apartment
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

Also, we have great decorations. I think that is so important. We have all made the space our own by adding various wall decor, like a faux ivy wall and tapestries. The three of us especially having pinks and golds around the room so we incorporated that as well. We also have some inspirational quotes on the wall to help us on the tougher days.

Another thing that is super important to all three of us is our friends. We have extra seating in our room that allows them to come and hang out with us whenever they please. Together, we feel this allows us to have more time to connect with all or your friends because they always feel welcomed in our room. We also have yummy snacks and some cute clothing pieces so maybe that’s why they stop by here more often.

Lastly, we love our salt lamps and diffusers. We have two of each in the room. We love to coordinate our diffuser scents and make the room smell amazing. There are even scents we use to clean the room air when we are sick and different scents to try to improve our moods.

Unsplash
Anyway, it is most certainly hard for everyone to constantly be in a gloomy mood when the weather is cold and grey. That is why it is especially important that we are kind to ourselves and do nice things for ourselves to stay motivated and positive.

Hi! My name is Rebecca Carmeli-Peslak. I am currently a senior at Purdue University majoring in Agricultural Communications. I am from New Jersey and enjoy spending time at the beach, cooking, baking, and with my friends. Currently, I am the Vice President of Administration for Delta Delta Delta, a Peer Mentor for the DRC, a Sighted Guide for the visually impaired through the DRC and a volunteer for Almost Home Humane Society. This semester, I am so excited to be a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus and cannot wait to see how Leslie and I work together to better the chapter!
All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.