This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Since the start of the pandemic last March, maskne has been a big problem that no one seems to talk about. After dealing with a minor case of it myself, I found these products and habits to be most helpful!

Oil Absorbing Sheets

I keep a pack of oil absorbing sheets around with me all the time and I wipe my face with them every chance I get. I’m sure most people know that a big cause of acne is oil buildup on the skin, so these have been an absolute lifesaver for me!

Face Mask Frame

I bought a pack of mask frames off Amazon that came to about $1 per frame. It goes under your mask and keeps your mask from touching your face directly. It helps me breathe more comfortably so that I don’t suck the mask into my mouth with every breath too! I use this every day; I’d highly recommend trying some!

Consistently Washing Masks

Washing reusable masks is crucial for your skin’s health. I try to wash my masks once a week, but I rotate around 4-5 masks so I just wash a couple masks every time I do laundry.

Double Masking

In all honesty, my laundry schedule is not the most consistent. If I haven’t washed my masks in a while, I double mask with a medical mask underneath so that my face doesn’t touch all the icky stuff that’s hiding on the inside of my mask.

We’re all still trying to adjust to life with masks, but until the pandemic is over, maskne will continue to be a thing we have to deal with, but it doesn’t have to be bad! I haven’t had any acne around my lower face for the last couple of months because of everything I mentioned above.

Hi! I'm Michelle, a senior at Purdue University studying Brain and Behavioral Sciences with a minor in Management. I'm from Orange County in sunny SoCal. Some of my hobbies include golfing, journaling, and singing!