How To Celebrate Halloween During A Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

If you’re like me you’re still scrambling to make plans for Halloween during this odd time. With parties off the list and kids not being able to go trick-or-treating, it seems that Halloween won’t happen this year. But fear not, there are still other options out there for you to explore. From zoom contests, to staying in and watching a scary movie. Here is a list of fun things you can still do on October 31st.

Zoom costume contest

Zoom has become a popular platform this year for work, school, and even just hanging out with people. Why don’t you utilize zoom to create a costume contest? You don’t have to all be in person to have this fun Halloween tradition. Simply all get on the call in your Halloween costumes and give each person a ranking from 1 to 10. At the end add up all the scores and whoever has the highest score wins!

Watch a scary movie with Netflix Party

Though I have not tried Netflix party myself yet, I have heard my sorority sisters rave about the website. Simply all decide on what spooky movie you want to watch that night, turn on Netflix part, and then you can chat during the movie. Though its not as fun as watching a movie together in person, this is still a fun way to all watch a movie together in this socially distanced environment.

Pumpkin carving

One tradition that stays true every Halloween season is pumpkin carving. Luckily, this fun fall activity is still suitable even during these trying times. Either go to the grocery store or a pumpkin patch and find a pumpkin that is worth your liking. From there, carve whatever design you want into it! If you want to take it up a notch, try using zoom just like with the zoom costume contest. You can have a pumpkin carving contest with your friends, and all see who has the best pumpkin carving skills.

Though it seems Halloween may be over this year, its far from that. Sure, its not gonna be as fun as it was previous years but that doesn’t mean you can’t make the most out of it. Simple Halloween traditions such as costume contests and watching scary movies can easily be done in a socially distanced environment.

Ava Smith

Purdue '23

Hello! My name is Ava Smith. I am a junior studying Advertising and Film Studies. I am from a suburb of Chicago called St. Charles and enjoy all the wonderful parks it has to offer. My hobbies consist of writing, filmmaking, and spontaneous adventures with friends. Currently, I am the Multimedia Manager for Boiler Communication and Social Media Moguel at the Hub on State Street. This is my second year being involved in Her Campus and I am so excited about all the new memories and opportunities I will make this year and for years to come!