“Hey Upper East Siders…”: Gossip Girl Reboot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Living just a bridge away from New York City, I have always been obsessed with it.  The lights.  The attractions.  The culture.  Basically…everything.  When I found a show that combined New York City with a high school plot, I was interested.  I was younger at the time, and the luxury and grandeur of the characters’ lives attracted me to the show.  It was also because Gossip Girl was one of those shows that so many people talked about when I was around my transition from middle school to high school, and I just caved in to watching it. 

Now, it’s coming back for round two!

I watched all the seasons, but I watched a season or two at a time and then took breaks that could last weeks or even months, so I definitely need a refresher on some of the events.  However, it was one of the shows I did enjoy watching, and I can’t believe it’s coming back for a reboot!

The pictures of a cast photoshoot were released on Thursday by multiple media outlets.  They are sitting down on the steps of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, which is an iconic setting because it is used in so many episodes in the original Gossip Girl. 

This reboot is said to be more diverse in terms of representation, which is already evident just from the few pictures that I saw.  In my opinion, it is going to flow more with the world we live in now. There is going to be an emphasis on their connection to social media, according to the website Digital Spy, a TV and movie website based in the United Kingdom.

The website also said that Kristen Bell will narrate as Gossip Girl, and it is supposed to come out sometime in 2021. 

I am curious to see the changes that are going to be made since it is supposed to be a more accurate depiction of a New York City private school compared to the original.  I always feel like the original is better in most cases and simply because it’s the original, but with the new-and-upcoming cast of young actors and actresses and the diversity, the Gossip Girl reboot seems to be promising!

I’m excited to watch it.  Are you?

Public health student with a passion for words and making change. (She/Hers) IG: @tredzzzz