Four Reasons to Adopt (And Not Shop) For Your Furry Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Animal shelters are located throughout the United States. They always have a large variety of animals, especially cats and dogs, that are looking for loving homes. Shelters are great places to get your pets and here’s why…

We all deserve a second chance

This is kind of deep but imagine if we did not get second chances with our friends, family, or jobs. Animals don’t have the same opportunities as us. If someone stops loving them or can no longer take care of them, they can spend a long time (sometimes their entire lives) waiting for a new home. All they want is some love and snacks and they will be so happy to spend every day by your side.

Save $$$

Shopping for dogs is so expensive (and a huge waste of money!!!)! Adopting animals is not nearly as expensive and the shelters fix them first, do a vet check, and a round of vaccinations, saving the adopter even more money.

Lots of Choices

There are so many different breeds available in the shelters! Big and small, old and young, whatever you are looking for the shelters will usually have, and if they don’t you can often ask them to call you when the animal you are looking for is adoptable. Also, if you are looking for a specific breed, there are lots of purebred rescues that are always needing people to adopt.

You can meet them!

Usually when shopping for a dog, the breeder usually has people reserve them before they are even born. This can sometimes result in paying thousands for a dog or cat with a personality that does not mesh well with yours AND a huge price tag! At the shelters, you can meet the animals and play with them first. Some shelters even allow adopters to do test runs with animals before bringing them home! Also, many of the dogs at shelters are already trained because it will not be their first home.

Hi! My name is Rebecca Carmeli-Peslak. I am currently a senior at Purdue University majoring in Agricultural Communications. I am from New Jersey and enjoy spending time at the beach, cooking, baking, and with my friends. Currently, I am the Vice President of Administration for Delta Delta Delta, a Peer Mentor for the DRC, a Sighted Guide for the visually impaired through the DRC and a volunteer for Almost Home Humane Society. This semester, I am so excited to be a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus and cannot wait to see how Leslie and I work together to better the chapter!
All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.