Flux: The Must-Have Application for Your Computer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Blue light has always bothered my eyes, especially at night time. It’s ruined my sleep schedules (especially during summer, don’t even get me started) and I’m pretty sure it’s been contributing to my worsening vision.

This semester, I found an application called Flux for my Mac. It lets you adjust how much blue light comes off of your screen, similarly to how you can do that on your iPhone. I’ve been using it for months now and I can’t say that it’s been a huge difference you can see in the moment, but it has helped a ton. My sleep schedule has gotten better, I’ve been getting better quality sleep, and I think my eyesight is worsening at a slightly slower rate.

You can also set Flux to change the amount of blue light shown off your computer based on your location and when the sun sets, so you don’t have to manually set it every time the lighting around you changes!

My eyesight has always been really bad, but this has definitely helped me get less migraine headaches, better sleep, and just overall better comfortability with my computer screen since I’ve been on it so much with online school!

I would highly recommend at least trying Flux out. I use it every day on my computer and it’s so easy on the eyes that a regular screen looks so bright and uncomfortable to me! It definitely can’t hurt you, so why not give it a shot?

Hi! I'm Michelle, a senior at Purdue University studying Brain and Behavioral Sciences with a minor in Management. I'm from Orange County in sunny SoCal. Some of my hobbies include golfing, journaling, and singing!
Andi Baker is a Campus Correspondent and Senior at Purdue University, majoring in Actuarial Science and Applied Statistics with minors in Management and Art and Studio Design. Originally from Manila, Arkansas, Andi loves to drink sweet tea, read, and make art. You can follow her on Instagram @andibaker