Famous Women from Purdue University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

I am continuously being amazed with all the outstanding and world-changing students at Purdue.  I get even more excited when I read alumni bios.  These scientists, engineers, writers, producers, and politicians were once sitting in the same seat in Krannert, Beering, or Grissom that we are now.  With March being Women’s History Month, let’s celebrate just a few of the influential women that graduated Purdue.

Janice E. Voss
Class of ‘75

Janice Voss was an American engineer that graduated Purdue with a bachelor’s degree in engineering.  She continued on to MIT where she eventually got a doctorate in aeronautics and astronautics in 1987.  She became an esteemed member of NASA in 1990 and throughout her career took part in five missions.  With that many missions, she tied with one other woman for the record of the most space flights for a women.  On February 6, 2012, Voss died at the age of 55 after a battle with breast cancer.  Her memory continues to encourage young women interested in a career in astronautics and Purdue students.

Patricia Galloway
Class of ‘78

This girl-power charged engineer graduated Purdue with a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering.  She became the first woman president of the American Society of Civil Engineers in 2002, the oldest engineering society in America.  In 2006, she was appointed by the United States president to join the National Science Board, where she became involved in all the nation’s science and engineering research projects.  She is currently the CEO of Pegasus Global Holdings, Inc., a technology development company that focuses on telecommunications in North America and Europe.  As the CEO, Galloway consults projects over $1 billion in energy and infrastructure industries.

Carrie Newcomer
Class of ‘80

Carrie Newcomer, now a Grammy-winning singer/songwriter, graduated Purdue with a bachelor’s degree in visual arts.  Though she was going to school to be an art teacher, she knew her dreams led to be a musician.  She started performing her folk-style music in coffee shops around West Lafayette to pay her rent.  She became part of a group called Stone Soup, but after two albums, she started her solo career.  15 albums, multiple European and American tours, and a Grammy later, Newcomer is now working on Indian musical collaborations and working with charitable organizations such as America’s Second Harvest and Literacy Volunteers of America.

Stephanie White
Class of ‘99

Stephanie White is possibly one of Purdue’s most famous women’s basketball players.  At her time at Purdue, White graced the basketball courts in the  top 10 all-time in career points, free throws, assists, steals, and three-pointers.  She was named Big Ten Player of the Year, GTE academic All-American of the Year, and also was a top 10 finalist for the NCAA Woman of the Year Award.  Her talent led Purdue to their 1999 NCAA Women’s National Championship in basketball.  This ultimately led her strait to the WNBA where she played professionally for five years beginning with the Charlotte Sting and then later the Indiana Fever.  She retired from the WNBA in 2004, but continues to prove her skills useful as the assistant coach for the Indiana Fever.  She is now part of the Purdue Athletics Hall of Fame.

Credit: Collectspace.com
            Engineergirl.org
            Carrienewcomer.com
            Wnba.com
            Purduesports.com

Leta is a senior at Purdue University studying Retail Management with a Certificate in Entrepreneurship & Innovation. Leta is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha and is obsessed with her sisters. An avid shopper and fashionista, Leta spends her time working as an Assistant Manager at Twenty Ten Boutique on Purdue's campus while managing their social media campaigns. Leta started writing for Her Campus Purdue in April of 2011. It was because of her extreme enthusiasm and passion for Her Campus that she was promoted to Purdue University's Campus Correspondent in January of 2012.