Every Place You Must Visit When You Travel To Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Every time I tell someone at Purdue that I’m from just outside of Boston, they tell me how cool that is and ask why I came to school in Indiana. I always tell people that I am completely in love with Boston and want to move back there once I’m done with college, but that I wanted to experience a different part of the country. Whenever anyone tells me they’ve never been to Boston, I tell them that they have to go since it’s the best city. Boston has so much to offer but here are some things that make Boston so incredible.

1. Harvard Square

Not only is Harvard University gorgeous but the surrounding area is perfect for spending a day walking around shopping and trying cool restaurants. My friends love walking around and going out to eat at our favorite Boston restaurant: Wagamama. This restaurant takes ramen to a whole new level; you can get anything from the classic chicken ramen to rice bowls. While you’re in Harvard Square, make sure to walk around Harvard’s campus. The campus is open to the public and my friends and I love walking around and people watching.

2. Faneuil Hall

Faneuil Hall is not just full of cute stores and tasty restaurants but also history. You can walk down cobblestone streets and can go into historical buildings. There are always street performers wondering about, trying their best to impress passersby and every time I’m there I can’t help but stop and watch them do their thing. Faneuil Hall is surrounded by many nice restaurants and also food court style restaurants, if you’re trying to save money. There are some stores around Faneuil Hall but not a ton, so if you want to get some shopping done I recommend going to Newbury Street.

3. Newbury Street

If you want to spend a whole day shopping, Newbury Street is the place to go. Trees line the street and so many stores are in cute brick apartment buildings, which makes for beautiful scenery as you’re walking from store to store. It has every store you can imagine, from Forever 21 to Kate Spade. Not only does the list of stores go on forever, but also the restaurants and cute cafes that line the street are always delicious. Newbury Street is pretty no matter the time of the year you visit. During the spring and summer, you can see beautiful flowers, you can enjoy a typical New England Fall with gorgeous color leaves, and during the winter lights are strung through the trees creating a winter wonderland. 

4. The North End

Boston’s north end is famous for delicious Italian food. No matter what restaurant you walk into, you know that the food will be top notch and you will walk away with a full stomach. Though your stomach hurts from all the delicious pizza or pasta you just consumed, you can’t go to the North End and not get one of the famous cannoli’s. There is the constant fight over whether Mike’s or Modern Pastry makes the better cannoli, and while both are great I always lean towards Mike’s. Mike’s has so many kinds of cannoli’s and so many other delicious desserts such as eclairs, lobster tails and cream puffs. Since Mike’s has such a reputation, be prepared to wait in line for your cannoli, but trust me the wait is more than worth it

5. Boston Harbor

If you’re not feeling like eating Italian, you can go to Boston Harbor for some delicious seafood. Not only will the seafood be some of the best you’ve ever had, but the view while you’re eating is one of the prettiest in Boston. Be sure to order a bowl of New England Clam Chowder because no place does it better than Boston!

6. The New England Aquarium

The New England Aquarium has always had the rep of being one of the best aquariums. Though I have only been to the aquarium once, it is something that everyone who visits Boston should see. The setup of the aquarium is very interesting and different. You walk up ramps to circle different exhibits. Everything at the aquarium is amazing but the best part of the aquarium is the penguins that sit right in the middle of it. Though it feels as if you could reach out and steal one of the penguins, the penguins are really just a little out of your reach. 

7. The Boston Public Garden/Boston Common

These two location sit right in the middle of Boston and provide a break from all the buildings. The garden/common are perfect for a picnic or just to sit and watch the sunset. I love walking around this area and just enjoying the nature and everything Boston has to offer.

8. Fenway Park

I think Fenway Park might be my favorite place to go in Boston. I love the energy on game day and I love knowing that almost everyone there, though all different, are all there rooting for the same team and want the same thing: The Red Sox to win. Not only is Fenway Park an amazing place but the Fenway area in general is surrounded by restaurants and you can even see some of your favorite artists at the House of Blues. I highly recommend going to see a Red Sox game or seeing someone perform at the House of Blues. You won’t regret it.

Boston is an amazing city and everyone should visit it at least once in their life. Happy Travels!

Karly McNeish is a freshman at Purdue University studying Public Health. She loves traveling, Gilmore Girls and trying new foods. She is originally from New England and Boston will always have her heart. Karly is a new member of the Twin Pines Cooperative House and she could not be more excited to start her new adventure with all the other Twin Pines Girls. Follow Karly on instagram @karlymcn.
Jennifer Rowella is from Ridgefield, Connecticut. She is a junior at Purdue University studying Speech, Language, and Hearing sciences and is the Senior Editor of Her Campus Purdue. Jennifer enjoys reading, cooking, watching too many episodes of Criminal Minds on Netflix, and being a part of various clubs on campus.