This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Banana bread is one of my favorite baked goods and is always my go-to when I have too many
brown bananas. I like experimenting with new recipes, so this past weekend I tried a vegan
recipe from my friend Paige (it’s on her food blog @plant.basedpaige on Instagram). It was so
good and is a perfect recipe for people with egg/dairy allergies, as well as anyone trying to eat
more plant-based. Here is how mine turned out:

Vegan banana bread that I baked for a recipe article
Original photo by Katherine Raykova

And here is the full recipe for you to try for yourself:

ingredients:

• 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 medium sized bananas, mashed (I had 3 brown bananas, so I used all of them. It came out very moist and had a strong banana flavor, which I like. But, if you like your banana bread on the drier side or want a milder flavor, stick to 2.)
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp baking powder
  • ½ cup finely chopped dates (or cup cane sugar)
  • cup melted coconut oil (or any neutral oil/applesauce)
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • ¼ cup non-dairy milk (only if needed)
  • optional: chopped walnuts, chocolate chips, etc.

Instructions:

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and set aside.
  3. In a larger bowl, combine mashed bananas, sugar/dates, vanilla extract, salt, and coconut oil.
  4. Slowly pour dry ingredients into the wet, combine. If needed, add non-dairy milk to create a more batter-like consistency instead of a dough.
  5. Fold in walnuts/chocolate chips (optional).
  6. Pour batter into pre-greased 9×9 in. loaf pan (I didn’t have a loaf pan, so I used a flatter/wider glass baking dish instead).
  7. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick (since I used a different pan, I just kept an eye on it and took it out when it looked cooked on the top and passed the toothpick test).
  8. Let cool for ~10 minutes and serve!

This recipe was super easy to follow and allowed me to make alterations as needed. I’ll
definitely keep this one saved and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Katherine Raykova is the President at the Her Campus at Purdue chapter. She’s been a part of Purdue’s Her Campus chapter since fall of 2020! She oversees chapter meetings, brand partnerships, a monthly chapter newsletter, and general maintenance to keep her chapter afloat. Her favorite areas to write about are fashion, books, plants, and all things witchy. Katherine is currently a senior at Purdue University, double majoring in Mechanical Engineering and English with a minor in Intellectual Property Law for Engineers. She has completed a year of industry experience working in aerospace consulting and is currently an undergraduate research assistant for the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Purdue. Outside of classes and Her Campus, Katherine is also a writing tutor at Purdue’s On-Campus Writing Lab (OWL) and a mentor for the Women in Engineering program. She hopes to attend law school next year to become a patent attorney. When she gets the chance, Katherine reads and spends as much time outside as possible. She loves listening to music and going on long walks around campus and nearby nature centers – even in the winter. Most days, she practices yoga, plays with tarot cards, and drinks multiple cups of tea. When she feels inspired, Katherine writes fiction or takes on a sewing/knitting project.