Style > Beauty

The Dos and Don’ts of Buying Drug Store Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

The debate between drug store and higher end makeup has been around for what seems like forever. The reviews are always changing and personally I never know what to think. Is drug store makeup cheap and going to ruin your skin or is high end makeup just a waste of money? Well, after plenty of years of trial and error, I have found what I think are some of the best drug store products. There are a lot of great drug store products out there and with these tips you can find the best ones for you.

Foundation

Foundation is easily the most important makeup product you will purchase. It’s what covers your entire face each day for all those hours. Choosing the right foundation is crucial and highly specific. When looking for a foundation there are certain things you want to keep in mind. First, decide what degree of coverage you’re looking for. This will help narrow your options. Decide if you want full coverage or something lighter. Next, determine what is best for your skin type. Oily skin? They make a foundation for that. Sensitive skin? There’s a foundation for that too. Virtually whatever your skins needs are there is a foundation that will cater to it. Lastly, it is so important that you find the right shade of foundation. One of the best ways to test what color works best for you is to put a little on your neck. This is the skin tone that matches closest with your face. This is my personal favorite foundation. It is very full coverage and lasts all day.

Blush is another great drug store beauty product to purchase. But there is much more that goes into choosing the best blush shade for you than you may think. A little bit of blush goes a long way especially when you have a fairer skin tone. For fair skin look for blushes with a lighter pink tone and apply the product lightly. For those with a medium skin tone slightly brighter colors such as peach and coral tend to match best. Lastly, those with a dark skin tone will be best complimented by more vibrant colors such as red and orange. This is my personal favorite blush in the shade that works best for me.

Mascara

Mascara is one product I always buy from the drug store. Personally, I find that high end mascara is a waste of money and the drug store products do the best job anyways. The great thing about drug store mascara is that there is so many different products to choose from! So many shapes, sizes, and bristle type that it can almost be overwhelming. A spiral brush is best for achieving the appearance of bigger eyes as it works well to coat all the lashes. To achieve extra-long lashes short and spread out bristles work well to coat all lashes evenly and space them out. For the effect of fuller lashes look for a brush that is densely packed with bristles. Here are a few of my personal favorites that I’m using at the moment.

Eyeliner

Another product I always buy from the drug store is eyeliner. Whether it is liquid or pencil eyeliner I always purchase these products from the drug store. Picking the best eyeliner depends a lot on what you’re trying to achieve. If you’re trying to create something like a winged eyeliner, a liquid eyeliner will be best to help you achieve the natural looking “flick” of the wing. The thin tip of liquid eyeliner also allows you to build the line making it thicker as needed. On the other hand, pencil eyeliner works best for lining the bottom lash line. Easy to use and simple to apply, you want to make sure you’re purchasing a pencil liner with a lot of pigment. This is hard to tell without trying it out and seeing for yourself. Luckily, below I’ve attached the best pencil and liquid eyeliners for you all to check out.

My favorite liquid eyeliner:

And a few of the best pencil eyeliners:

One of the most attractive things about drug store makeup is the low cost of it. Take the low cost as the opportunity to try out different products and find what is right for you. You never know what you may find!

Megan is a junior at Purdue University pursuing a double major in Political Science and English. In her spare time, she enjoys traveling and online shopping. She is proudly from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and will never let you forget it . Follow her on Instagram @megan_sommerfeld
All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.