This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

DISNEY IS BACK, and so if my obsession with Wizards of Waverly Place. Disney Plus’s debut has been spreading, leaving many college students to hole up in their dorms binging. Each time I pull up snapchat, I see someone new watching a Disney movie or show. However, I would have to say I am most excited for the return of the amazing show that captured my heart in middle school, Wizards of Waverly Place. I could not express the amount of times I put off homework to watch this show or scheduled my sleepovers around watching the newest episode on Friday nights at precisely 8PM. Some of my favorite, heart wrenching episodes in the series would have to be: 

Wizards vs. Vampires on Waverly Place 

This episode is one of my absolute favorites because not only does Justin meet the love of his life, Juliet, but she just happens to be Bridgit Mendler, the star of Disney’s Good Luck Charlie. The show begins as a competition between the vampires “Late Nite Bite” sub shop and the wizards “Waverly Sub Station.” However, as the competition heats up, Juliet and Justin peak each other’s interest, yearning to resolve their parents’ feud in the end.   

Wizards vs. Werewolves Part 1 and 2 

Personally, I would have to say this is the most heart wrenching episode of Wizards of Waverly Place for me. As Alex, Justin, Juliet, and Mason, Alex’s werewolf boyfriend, travel to Transylvania, the episode ends on a gigantic cliffhanger. Both couples are at a loss, as Juliet the vampire and Mason the werewolf battle it out, leaving everyone loveless. After Alex just learns Mason truly loves her, he is turned into a werewolf forever. Furthermore, after Juliet has been scratched by a werewolf, she begins to decay and become old. This episode leaves me crying every time as you watch the love of each their lives walk out for what seems like forever.  

Wizards vs. Angels Part 1 and 2 

Wizards vs. Angels is another personal favorite of mine because China McClain, another star from Disney’s Ant Farm makes an appearance. As Alex Russo, Selena Gomez, is led to what appears to be an alley, she discovers the light angel’s secret headquarters. In this 2-part special, you see a new side of Alex Russo emerge out of her spunky, sarcastic personality, instead Alex battles the angels of darkness and defeats the leader in order to save the world and her new little friend, China McClain. 

Finale Part 1 and 2 

In the final moments of Wizards of Waverly Place, all three siblings (Justin, Alex, and Max) are put to the test to see who will emerge the family wizard. As the three work together and against time, the family battles it out through mazes and obstacle courses, risking everything to be given their full powers. Alex fights for the chance to still date the love of her life, Werewolf Mason, who she found in a trailer park and changed back from a wolf. Justin fights to remain with his newly returned vampire girlfriend Juliet. Lastly, Max fights after finally being turned back into himself, after living as a girl for a year. The finale is an amazing episode, giving all the characters a happy ending.  

I can sit here and continue to explain the drama, adventure, and laughter of the series to you, but if you haven’t seen Wizards of Waverly Place, I do suggest that it be one of your first shows to binge on Disney Plus. I am ecstatic to be able to relive and reminisce about my childhood by watching these old shows, and I hope you all do the same, hopefully, after you’ve studied and taken your finals though!  

Abbie Gillig

Purdue '23

Abbie Gillig is a bubbly, outgoing girl from Fort Wayne, Indiana. Currently, she is attending Purdue University as a psychology major. This coffee enthusiast can be found shopping with her friends, jumping around at football games, or racing to get her homework done. She loves watching friends on Netflix, sleeping, and spotting puppies in her free time. Follow me on insta @abbie.gillig to watch my reckless life unfold!
All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.