element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Disney has the Most Amazing Holiday Traditions in One of Their Resorts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Growing up in a family of Disney fanatics, a Christmas spent in Disney World is something I’ll never forget. Each year, Disney improves their celebration activities through additions to the park specialties and different shows than the usual schedule. Every acre of Disney property is decorated in Christmas Trees and lights, including the resorts. One resort has one extremely challenging tradition and I can’t believe I just discovered it this year.

Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort is one of the most iconic buildings in Disney. Many types of events are held there ranging from weddings to conferences, etc. As December begins, this resort transforms into the most beautiful sight of holiday magic. But the most exciting part of the decorations is the life size gingerbread house. As it celebrates its 19th anniversary, this gingerbread house is placed front and center in the lobby of the Grand Floridian so guests can enjoy the spectacular set up from each level of the building.

Each year, a pastry team spends over 400 hours baking the gingerbread and over 160 hours “gluing” it all together with frosting. The house isn’t just for display. Inside the house is The Bake Shop. There you can find gingerbread ornaments, cookies and house making kits all made out of the same recipe that built the house.

Other resorts have special edible decorations like the life-size, edible, spinning carousel at Disney’s Beach Club Resort. Or at Disney’s Contemporary Resort where there is a life size, edible Cinderella’s Castle. Each location in Disney has something special and I am so excited to go discover it all. Although each edible creation is amazing, the gingerbread house is the most iconic Holiday Disney decorations, well, aside from Cinderella’s Castle of course.

Happy Holidays!

Leslie is a current senior at Purdue University looking to major in industrial management engineering. She discovered Her Campus through her sisters, who had been apart of it when they were in college. She enjoys dancing, singing, cooking and traveling.
All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.