This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Dear Mom,

From a very young age, you show me what a working woman looks like. You were able to raise a family, have a career, and be successful. You are the reason why I am a strong independent woman today and I cannot thank you enough.  I remember days when you would come home from work exhausted but still be able to put a good healthy meal on the table. You listened to me after your long day and pretended your feet did not hurt from standing all day. You would help me with my homework even if you did not know what you were doing. Or when I got really ill and you stepped down to a lower position to nurse me back to health. Despite everything, you were able to provide for our family and I cannot be more proud to call you my mother. You are a Rockstar in my eyes. You are who I aspire to be as a mother. Whether I choose to have children or not I know I want to be able to be as successful as you are. So, thank you for showing that there is more than just having children and staying at home. I know I want a career and to be successful. Growing up around someone like you has shown me that it is more than possible to have a family and work. I do not have to just quit my job and become a housewife. I know from growing up with you anything is possible. I hope that one day I can show my children that they too can achieve everything that is in their sight. Shooting for the stars is something you showed me and I know it is possible.

Mom, thank you for showing me there is more to life after you start a family. Thank you for raising me to be the woman I am today and thank you for always believing in me! 

Jennifer Rowella is from Ridgefield, Connecticut. She is a junior at Purdue University studying Speech, Language, and Hearing sciences and is the Senior Editor of Her Campus Purdue. Jennifer enjoys reading, cooking, watching too many episodes of Criminal Minds on Netflix, and being a part of various clubs on campus.