Career

Career Fair Season Is Upon Us! Here Are Some Tips to Help You Through

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Job fairs can be so overwhelming. Walking up to a table and introducing yourself by speeding
through your elevator pitch can be intimidating especially when the person you are speaking to
could decide whether or not you get an interview. Although it is scary, you are in the same
position as thousands of other undergraduate and graduate students. Here are some of my tips for
helping you navigate the world of career fairs.

1. Update that resume.

Remember that your resume is the one time you are always guaranteed bragging rights. This is
where you show what you’ve accomplished academically and professionally. Make sure all
information labelled in there is up-to-date and applicable to your current goals. Include any job
experience you have! Employers want to see that!

2. dress confidently!

Is that power suit hanging in your closet collecting dust? Pull it out! Wearing an outfit that gives
you high levels of confidence (but is also business appropriate) automatically gives you an
advantage over others who dress more…casual. You know you look good, so strut that stuff!

3. be yourself.

My biggest tip is for you to be completely yourself. Your resume can not tell a company who you
are personally. If they do not want to hire someone for who they are, it would be tough to work
in that type of environment every day. Reach for those whose recruiters make you feel accepted
and comfortable in your own skin.

This time of year is extremely challenging on top of balancing school work and a social life.
Remember to take a break occasionally, Rome wasn’t built in a day! Best of luck through all of
your applications and interviews! You got this girl!

Leslie is a current senior at Purdue University looking to major in industrial management engineering. She discovered Her Campus through her sisters, who had been apart of it when they were in college. She enjoys dancing, singing, cooking and traveling.