Style > Fashion

Capsule Wardrobes: A Fashion-Forward Goal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

When I first saw the revival of 2000s fashion, I have to admit I didn’t think it was for me. Now I
point out outfits walking to class to my friends that look nearly identical to the fashion
statements I used to question. And really, I don’t think there is any way to know if my tastes have
changed or if I have just been bombarded by marketing and this vibe is now familiar. In reality
for each fashion cycle, we all have trends we like and things we’ll be happy to see pass on even if
we aren’t ready to point to what falls into each category yet. As fun as shopping might be, it’s
expensive and it’s wasteful. Working on developing a capsule wardrobe addresses a lot of these
closet challenges and more. There are a lot of advantages to creating your own capsule wardrobe,
here are just a few!

1. to really love the clothes we own

It can build our confidence to wear items that we know truly express ourselves. By taking the time to choose materials, colors, and cuts that suit us we know that we will be happier with our outfits daily and there’s nothing better than putting on clothes that help us feel ready to take on the day.

2. minimizing fashion waste

We all know that fast fashion is awful for the earth. The article Fast Fashion: Its Detrimental Effect on the Environment by Rashmila Maiti on Earth.Org explains that this industry wastes water: “2000 gallons of water to produce a pair of jeans”, uses microplastics that “take hundreds of years to biodegrade”, and also takes a lot of energy. Plus, it adds a ton of waste. In addition to environmental impacts, fast fashion is unethical because the treatment of the employees of these brands are often horrendous. The clothes are cheap because the workers are paid minimally, and they are often also subjected to gender-based violence according to Yasaman Yousefi in her article Environmental and Social Impacts of Fast Fashion on Sustainable Development Watch.

3. it’s more affordable!

It’s more affordable! Being able to buy long lasting, quality items will end up saving you money in the long run. Especially when you take the time to develop your capsule wardrobe over time, you can look in secondhand shops when travelling to really find timeless pieces that feel true to you.

4. it can help your mental health

We all live such hectic lives, anything we can do to reduce the stress is meaningful. A capsule wardrobe “generally consists of 30-50 items” according to “Here’s How to Live Like a Minimalist and Build Your Own Capsule Wardrobe” by Grace Schweizer. For The Penny Hoarder, and this makes it a lot easier to pick out outfits. Plus, when you know you love all the clothes in your closet, it makes getting ready a lot more fun.

Developing a capsule wardrobe is a goal of mine and I suggest it’s something you consider too. This is not to say that you shouldn’t follow trends at all and hop on board with new items you love, but when you have the backing of a capsule wardrobe you are empowered to make decisions regarding trends that you think really fit who you are!

Kelly Haddow

Purdue '23

Kelly Haddow is a junior at Purdue studying Public Health and Global Studies. She is also minoring in Dance and Computer Information Technology. She loves ballet, rock climbing, reading, listening to music and podcasts, being outside and hanging out with friends and family. Recently, she started learning more about cooking and also learning how to cross stitch. Kelly is so excited to be writing with Her Campus to share her experiences, interesting and fun things, or topics that she thinks are important to know more about!