Brittany’s Fashion Blog: Must-Have Jewelry: From Essential Basics to Glam!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

First, I must say my mother’s influence has crept on me again. This originally started with makeup, but now I must say it has gone to the jewelry aspect. I shouldn’t be complaining, she ‘lets’ me ‘borrow’ her stuff all the time! Mom, if you are reading this, I know you are laughing!  (Shout out to your Mom if she has great taste!) Shout outs aside, I simply love jewelry. We all have those pieces that we’ve had for years—the ‘good’ jewelry. However, sometimes you just want to find some fun pieces. I’ve looked up some great places to find jewelry for all occasions, and take my word for it (I have some of these pieces!).

Charlotte Russe: Pieced Enamel Collar Necklace, $6.00 

This modern piece is a great necklace that can be paired with many outfits! Wearing a simple black dress? Pair it with this awesome accessory. It gives just enough edge without over-doing it. This would also look great with a simple top for work. I love the color combination of black and gold. It gives it a sleek look that isn’t gaudy.

Guess: Brilliance on Links Watch, $125  

I’m usually not a gold person when it comes to jewelry—I personally prefer silver. But lately I have really been starting to like some gold pieces. As for this watch, I absolutely love how the band looks more like a bracelet. I am not a watch person, as some would say, but watches are definitely essential for many occasions! Guess does a great job of combining style with necessity in this flashy piece.

The Limited: Mulit-Strand Grey Pearl Bracelet, $26.90 

There is no place I love going into more for jewelry than The Limited. My mom and I could stay in there all day debating which piece we are going to pick. We usually choose the same piece and then fight over it (haha)! This piece is a classic. The beautiful color combinations swirled together in strands of pearls are perfect for a cocktail event or nice date out with your significant other! Simply stunning!

A great idea to keep your jewelry organized is by buying plastic bead or ‘tackle box’ separators. Basically, it’s a plastic container with separators in-between with a lid that locks shut! You can find these in the arts & crafts aisles of many stores. This way you will never tangle your jewelry again!

Have a great week HC readers!

Brittany Cole

Sources:
1. http://www.charlotterusse.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12066681&cp=4241184.4192366
2. http://shop.guess.com/Catalog/View/Women’s%20Accessories/Watches/Brilliance%20on%20Links%20Watch%20-%20Web%20Exclusive/U12648L1
 3. http://www.thelimited.com/detail/multi-strand-grey-pearl-bracelet/1751100

Amanda Norell is a junior at Purdue University where she is working toward a communication degree, supplemented by an art and design minor. A true Midwesterner, Amanda was born in Chicago and raised in northern Indiana, just minutes from the Michigan border. In addition to being Purdue's Campus Correspondent, Amanda is also a junior board member on Liberal Arts Student Council, a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, and has both edited and written for The Exponent, Purdue's independent daily student newspaper.  She has held internships in both event planning and career development, and has her sights set on becoming an event and wedding planner after graduation. She cannot get enough of campus in the fall, crepes from Greyhouse, Urban Outfitters, and simply lovin' life.