Best Holiday Activities for Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

With Thanksgiving being only two and half weeks away, it’s a good time to start planning your Thanksgiving break and setting up fun things that you and your family can do together. Aside from any traditions you do every year for the holiday, there are a ton of really fun things you and your family and friends can all do together starting with a Friendsgiving. This is a really great way to be able to celebrate the holiday with your friends since most of your friends won’t be attending your family Thanksgivings. It’s fun to have everyone come with a dish of their choice prepared.

Another fun activity for all shopaholics is Black Friday shopping. This is my personal favorite. Every year my friends and I get together right after our Thanksgiving meals and head out to get all the deals. While this can be hard for families to do together since it is an all-night activity, encourage your cousins or siblings to check out the mall for a few hours.

For anyone with younger siblings or cousins, decorating placemats for the table the night before is a creative yet easy way to keep the kiddos occupied and have DIY placemats for dinner. I know my sister, who is 9, is always wanting to make crafts, so this is a great activity that all family members will surely love to help with.

While not everyone has a passion for cooking, help prepare the food gets everyone involved and feeling like they played a part in putting on a wonderful Thanksgiving meal. Even if you don’t necessarily like to cook or bake, helping out your mom, grandma, aunt, etc. will really make them feel appreciated. They do a lot to put on a meal that big so make sure to give them a hand!

Start talking with your family and see what they are wanting to do! You never know, they may have been looking something for the family to do together.

alexa kosior

Purdue '21

Hi guys! I am a Junior at Purdue University where I study Communications with a specialty in Public Relations. I am so excited to be joining her Campus. I currently have my own blog, I love that I can continue writing articles more articles and and engaging with all of you!
All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.