Style > Beauty

Barefaced Beauty: Natural Makeup Tips and Tricks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

With the corona virus and having to wear a mask nonstop, my makeup game isn’t exactly strong right now. I don’t want to put a full face of makeup for classes if no one’s going to see half of my face. Also, I hate the feeling of wearing heavy foundation and having it all come off on your mask. My face is practically asking for a breakout. So recently, I’ve decided to start wearing makeup a lot less, but instead using a handful of products to give me a fresh and dewy face for those days you want to be seen. I love the natural finish it gives my skin and it practically looks like I haven’t even tried! Read this article to discover some tips and tricks to give your skin a dewy and natural finish.

Step One: Foundation.

To begin, apply a skin tint or light coverage foundation around your face with a makeup sponge. Blend until its absorbed into the skin. Take a concealer lighter than your foundation and apply a few dots under your eyes. Cover the base of your skin with a light powder.  I really want to emphasis the need to keep it light and not apply layers of foundation on your skin. You want to have the foundation barely noticeable. Recommendations: Nars sheer glow foundation or Glossier’s Skin Tint Serum.

Step Two: Cream Highlighter.

Then, take a cream highlighter and your sponge and lightly dab the product on the tip of your nose, cheekbones, and cupids bow to give your face a glowy appearance. Recommendations: Loreal Skin Glow or Fenty Stix Glow Sunstick.

Step Three: Eyebrow Pencil

With your eyebrow pencil, fill in your eyebrows into a natural shape. We’re not aiming for Insta’ eyebrows, but your eyebrows’ natural shape. Then, apply faux freckles around your nose to make your face even more natural. Recommendation: Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz or Morphe Micro Brow Pencil

Step Four: Eyebrow Gel.

To continue this look, take an eyebrow gel and apply over your brows and lashes holding in place your hairs. Personally, I don’t like to wear mascara, but I instead curl my lashes and apply the gel to hold them up. I find Mascara is very easy to smear and will ruin this look.

Step Five: Lip gloss.

To finish, apply a layer of lip gloss or a nude lipstick on your lips. You need to give your lips a little color and give them a tint. Recommendations: Glossier’s Balm dotcom.

Step Six: Setting Spray.

Last, apply a layer of setting spray to set your makeup to hold against the mask. Recommendations: Morphe’s setting Spray or Nyx’s Dewy Skin setting Spray.

This is my go-to look for class because it’s so easy and quick to do. It gives my skin a gorgeous finish and accentuates my natural features. I Highly recommend trying!

Jordan is a junior at Purdue and majoring in History with two minors in Classical Studies and Forensic Science. Originally from Indiana, she loves drinking chai lattes, playing tennis, binge-watching Netflix, and spending time with her golden-retriever dog, Beau.