Akira: My Obsession of Late

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

I live in a house of ninety girls, so I believe it’s safe to say it goes without saying that clothes, fashion, and all things trendy are frequently visited conversation topics.  And nothing gets spread around like wildfire faster than the discovery of a new clothing store/designer by one of the girls.  Don’t hold me to this statistic, but I’m willing to bet it takes about a week after the discovery of a new store (online or not) that everyone in the house has at least heard of, if not already bought something from the place.  Well in order to promote a place I’ve been mildly obsessed over for a couple months now, this past winter I’ve fallen in love with the store Akira. 

Being a girl from around the Chicago area, my first encounter with Akira came while I was wondering around downtown for some quality shopping time.  It didn’t take long after walking into the store to realize that this place could be a serious issue for my bank account.  However, thankfully the prices aren’t entirely too bad at all and the quality of clothing is still above average: so I’m a happy girl.  Furthermore, the clothing options are exactly what a girl who wants to either go out on the town in a new chic little outfit, or lounge around her college campus while still looking good, wants in her closet.  Upon m last visit three weeks ago the selection of sheer blouses, long dresses, and sequined mini skirts were amazing enough to make any twenty-something year old girl squeal with joy. 

However, you can complete your entire outfit simply by walking into the store thanks to Akira’s extensive jewelry selection and purses/clutches.  And the icing on the cake? Their shoes.

Now I know I’ve only mentioned their store location in Chicago and yes, it’s true, every local mall doesn’t carry an Akira store.  However, for those of you not blessed with that little extravagance, Akira does (thank God) have an online store.  However, be warned, once you go online there is a possibility of going a little crazy. 

You can search by outfits, clothing types, and brands.  Therefore, for example, if you’re dying for a pair of Jeffery Campbell booties (In my opinion, a must-have for any girl’s closet.) then you can simply go to that brand section and you’re given an entire selection of Campbell options!

So just because it’s winter and most people spend the duration of these moths layering up and losing all sense of style completely, don’t let that happen to you.  I’ve just given you a new and exciting style insight with this little gem of a store chain, so please, use it wisely.