This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

If you know me, you know how much I love to go thrift shopping. A few reasons I love thrifting: you get unique items, the “vintage” look is in, it’s less expensive than buying new, and it is better for the environment. If I had to give an estimate I would say that 70% of the clothes I own are thrifted. With that, I would like to think I know some pretty good tips on how to get the best finds at the thrift shop.

1.)  Look Through Everything

If you are looking at clothes look through it all. Thrift stores don’t usually put sizes in the right spots, so it helps just to look through everything in a section.

2.) Look in the Men’s Section

The Men’s section can be full of hidden treasures. I personally love looking through the Men’s section for old college t-shirts and sweatshirts. The t-shirts always seem to be softer in the Men’s section and they usually have a wider selection.

3.) Check the Clothing for Stains or Holes

Before you purchase, be sure to check your items for stains or holes. Some stains are easy to remove with some searching on Pinterest or what I usually do is text my mom. Holes in items can also be a quick fix depending on the fabric.

4.) Don’t be Afraid to do Some DIY or Upcycle Pieces

One of my favorite things to do is altering pieces I have bought. I am notorious for buying big t-shirts and cutting them into crop tops. So many great ideas for DIY’s and upcycling exists on Pinterest and YouTube. Also, if you have a vision in your mind don’t be afraid try it out on a piece of scrap fabric or buy another piece as practice.

5.) Look for Special Deal Days

For an even bigger discount look up special shopping days at your local store. Most places will give you a student discount and when you walk in, they will tell you if they have a certain colored tag that is on sale that day. The best way to find out about special days is to to to ask an employee or look them up online.

6.) Go Dressed in Clothes You Can Easily Change Out Of

This is just a tip for clothes shopping in general. Wear clothes that you can easily change out of for fitting room purposes. This is also useful for trying on things like jackets while just walking around the store.

7.) Take Your Bestie With You!

When thrifting I love taking my bestie with as a second opinion and a second set of eyes. Having two people search through the racks means you’re less likely to overlook something awesome. It is also great for catching up and having fun together.

Taylor is from a small farm town called McCordsville, Indiana but has some big goals set for herself. Currently she is studying selling and sales with a management minor at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana. In her free time Taylor enjoys photography and being a freelance model, traveling, spending time with her friends and family, and watching Netflix. You can follow her career @taylorbragdon on Instagram.
All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.