jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 things all girls who date an engineer know to be true

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

When you think of engineers the image of that nerdy kid with glasses in your class probably comes to mind. That’s what I expected engineers to be like too. But I recently just entered into a relationship with a mechanical engineer and so far I’ve enjoyed it. However, we’re complete opposites. I couldn’t be more of a liberal arts student: I’m majoring in interior design and minoring in classical studies. Plus most of my friends are in liberal arts and I only have a few engineering friends. So dating an engineer opened up an entirely different college experience for me and I have genuinely enjoyed dating someone so different. If you’re considering dating an engineer, here are seven things you need to know.

1. He doesn’t have time for you during the week

Duh. He’s an engineer, what did you expect? He is always tackling physics, statics or thermo homework. Even after multiple explanations from my boyfriend, I still don’t completely know what thermo is. So as the girlfriend of an engineer forget about night talks or morning kisses. Suck it up and deal with it, because when he said he is studying, he is. But there is good news ladies, since he often pulls all-nighters to finish his mountain of homework, he obviously won’t have time to cheat on you.

2. He’s basically a personal handy man

Most engineers I know are practical people who enjoy using their hands to make things. One day my boyfriend randomly told me he built a shed. This can really come in handy, when you need something fixed. Even if he can’t fix something, he will try every method he can think of to do so.

3. He’s supportive

I’m a person who gets panicked really easily. Engineers are realistic and down to earth people, so every time I have any sort of problem, my boyfriend will calm me down by listing every solution. When you have a bad day, you know you’ll always have your engineering boyfriend’s shoulder to cry on. They might not be able to sing you a song or write you a poem, but you know you can rely on them.

4. He’s probably a genius

His work is full of numbers and symbols that I’ve never seen in my life. Sometimes he gets all pumped up about his work and won’t stop bragging about it to you. Especially when he works on a difficult assignment for several hours, when he finally finishes he will be so happy about it and show it off to you. Even though 98% of the time I have no idea what he’s learning. He’s smart, not only in science, but in general. We have great deep conversations; we can talk about anything from art and politics to the lavender garden in Hokkaido.

5. He’s detail oriented.

The first time I came over to my boyfriend’s room I was shocked. I had never seen a straight guy be so meticulous about his room. He even makes his bed everyday! I mean the cleanliness of his room kind of deteriorates as the semester goes on, but he will still organize his room if he has time. Even when his room is at its messiest, it’s still cleaner than mine.

6. Don’t expect him to plan the dates

Maybe this is generally a guy thing, but he is really not good at planning dates. I mean I get it, there’s really not many things to do in West Lafayette, and the weather is getting colder, but it’s just not a great feeling to see my friend’s date taking her out on a romantic picnic while I always have to think of something for my boyfriend and I to do. And this is assuming that I can even see him during the week.

7. He’s a hard worker.

You know your boyfriend wouldn’t be happy if he hadn’t chosen engineering as his major. He’s so passionate about it that it makes you feel bad about procrastinating until 10 minutes before class to finish your worksheet. You know he always tries his best, and you’re proud of him for it.

Although my boyfriend and I are very different, I don’t always understand his major and I rarely get to see him during the week because of his workload. I’m really happy that I am dating an engineer and I know he’s the one that I want to be with.

Dragon fruit is my favorite fruit, but I stuck with honey dew in Indiana.
Danielle Wilkinson is an Atlanta native and currently a senior at Purdue University studying Mass Communication. She is the co-correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Purdue. She has written for several online and print publications in the past including The Purdue Exponent, The Tab, Society 19, Study Breaks Magazine and Voy Study Abroad. She loves traveling, shopping and everything entertainment, especially movies and TV, but 90s rom coms will always be her favorite. She hopes to move to California one day to pursue a career in marketing. In her free time, she loves YouTube, watching movies with her friends, working on her novel, drinking tea and reading books.