7 Simple New Year’s Resolutions Everyone Can Follow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

A New Year doesn’t have to necessarily mean a “new me.” Instead why not an “improved me?”

Typically, I’m not one to have a New Year’s resolution. Mostly because everyone else does it and on the other hand, it usually seems like a big commitment. Like doesn’t the mantra “new year, new me” seem a bit extreme people?

What I came up with was a list of simple ideas that can have a big impact on your life. I thought about what I personally could do to improve myself for the better. While these aren’t life changing things, they are all things that you do on a daily basis. Doing these things so often makes it even easier to incorporate them into your lifestyle.

1. Drink More Water

Water does wonders for you. Water does everything from flush out toxins to improving your skin. According to Mayo Clinic women should have 11.5 cups of water per day, on average. Try drinking a full glass of water to start your day. Or, I try and drink one whole water bottle during each one of my classes.

2. Be Positive

A simple resolution is to work on a positive mindset. Try looking at the brighter side of things instead of focusing on the bad. This is personal goal for me. Keeping a positive attitude can entirely change how a situation affects you. Being positive can greatly help with stress as well.

3. Spend Less Time on Your Cell Phone

Another personal goal for me is to be on my phone less. I am terrible about always being on my phone so this year I am really going to try and use it less. For instance, I’m trying to walk to class without looking at my phone each day. Too much time on your phone can lead to headaches and back pain.

4. Exercise More

Making time for exercise can get difficult especially with the demanding workload we all have here at Purdue. While I’m not always able to make it to the Co-Rec, I’m trying to make a point of walking to class when I can. Or, I try and do a few quick exercises at my apartment like squats, pushups, and sit-ups.

5. Take Time to Yourself

Life is stressful AF. That’s why it is so important that we take time to relax and rest. You have to recharge yourself in order to be your best. School can be exceptionally time consuming at times making it seem like it never ends. I try and break up those rough times with small breaks. During those breaks I usually either treat myself with food or watch something on Netflix. Whatever it is, just make sure you’re giving yourself the break you need and definitely deserve.

6. Wash Your Face Before Bed. Always.

I know, I know, we’ve all been there before. You’re in your beds so comfy and about to fall asleep, and then you realize you still need to get up and wash your makeup off. This is the point in the story where far too often we get way too lazy and say screw it. Ladies, please do not do this. Sleeping in your makeup is terrible for your skin. Even if you really, really do not want to get up to wash your face, at least use a makeup wipe. But really get up and wash your face, your skin will thank you.

7. Try something new

This year make a point of trying new things. Whether it be new foods, a new hobby, or a new workout class, make a point of getting out of your comfort zone. Start by making a list of new things you want to try. I’m trying each week to do something new. I started with a new workout class called Pure Barre and I loved it!

Megan is a junior at Purdue University pursuing a double major in Political Science and English. In her spare time, she enjoys traveling and online shopping. She is proudly from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and will never let you forget it . Follow her on Instagram @megan_sommerfeld
All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.