7 Reasons Why Fall is the Best Time of Year at Purdue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

It’s time for everyone to accept the fact that Fall is the perfect season. The changing leaves, the seasonal Starbucks drinks, the fashion, oh my! Fall at Purdue is a special time of year for many reasons.

1. The vibe on campus is unlike it is during any other season. 

There’s just something that’s different about Purdue’s campus during the fall. The first semester brings a fresh start for students both academically and socially. Back on campus after the summer, the new school year is like a clean slate; an opportunity to improve on the previous semester.

2. Campus Scenery 

Being from New England, I’m a bit biased when it comes to judging the changing Fall scenery. No place will ever top my classic Connecticut hometown, but Purdue’s campus is certainly a beautiful sight for my homesick eyes. Walking around campus during the fall season is made much more enjoyable by the vibrantly colored trees set against the rustic brick academic buildings that Purdue is famously known for.

3. Goodbye Sweat 

Speaking of walking to class, Fall brings a welcome refuge from the unbearable heat brought on by Indiana summers. Getting to your 9:30 a.m. class finally doesn’t feel like running a marathon, and you can stop apologizing to the person sitting next to you in lecture for the smell.

4. Exploration Acres 

What’s more fun than an 18-acre corn maze? Nothing, that’s what. In addition to having the largest corn maze in Northwest Indiana, Exploration Acres offers hayrides, pedal cars, a straw bale tunnel, and a pumpkin patch. Plus, it’s a great place to take those ever-important Fall Instagram pictures.

5. Purdue Football 

Scoreboard aside, Purdue Football in the Fall is a blast. We may not have the greatest team in the Big 10, but we do have some of the most passionate fans. Nothing beats standing beside thousands of other current and former Boilermakers screaming your lungs out for the good ol’ Black and Gold.

6. Homecoming Weekend 

Purdue Homecoming is a fun filled week every year. This year’s festivities kickoff with food and a DJ, as well as a movie on Slayter Hill, a parade and of course the Homecoming football game. It’s basically just another week to show off your Boilermaker school spirit.

7. Halloween

This one is self-explanatory.  It’s just like when you were a child…only less trick-or-treating and more alcohol. How many Harambes and Harley Quinns do you think we’ll see on campus this year? Be careful of the clowns!

Jennifer Rowella is from Ridgefield, Connecticut. She is a junior at Purdue University studying Speech, Language, and Hearing sciences and is the Senior Editor of Her Campus Purdue. Jennifer enjoys reading, cooking, watching too many episodes of Criminal Minds on Netflix, and being a part of various clubs on campus.
Born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago, Illinois, Rachael made the move to West Lafayette, Indiana where she attends Purdue University. She is currently a junior studying English and Communications. She is a co-correspondent and the President of Her Campus Purdue University. She currently is a reporter for The Purdue Exponent, where she writes about everything that is going on around campus. She hopes to become a note-worthy journalist and a strong business woman. Rachael is a traveling junkie and wants to explore all 50 states in her lifetime, along with going back to London, which is her favorite. She loves watching 10 Things I Hate About You and can't live without dancing to Beyonce, running, and finding new restaurants to eat at. Doughnut shops and pizza places are her go-to's.