Life > Academics

6 Reasons Why Week 6 is Time for Your Second Wind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

I’ll be honest, this semester has not gone as well as I had hoped. I started August with a lot of
energy and excitement towards being back to all in-person classes, but quickly found myself
falling behind and slipping into my old bad habits of missing class and assignments. It took me
longer to adjust to going back to school than I expected, which meant lots of catching up as the
weeks went on. I know I’m not alone in this; quite a few of my friends have shared the same
disappointment in the lack of academic success this semester was supposed to bring. BUT, trust
me, this is the perfect point in the semester to turn it all around. If you need some motivation to
spark your mid-semester academic glow-up, here are 6 reasons why Week 6 will be your
transcript’s best friend:

1. The adjustment period is over

By now, you are aware of what your class schedule feels like. You know how much free time you
have during the day and when your classes typically have assignments due. Not much can sneak
up on you at this point and you can more easily anticipate how much time you need to set aside
for each class moving forward.

2. Rolling out the fall coffee menus

Staying up late, studying with a regular cup of coffee, gets old really fast. Throw pumpkin spice
in the mix, and it’s an entirely new activity. Whether you’re waking up early or burning the
midnight oil, you’ve earned yourself an excuse to try out a seasonal ~caffeinated~ beverage. Let
that festive latte be your reward for being productive.

3. Turn on your dark academia study playlist

Week 6 coincides with the start of spooky season, which is the perfect time to break out some
Hogwarts music. Put on something classical-ish and live out your dark academia fantasy. You
would be surprised how much WALC’s Reading Room on a rainy fall day makes you feel like a
scholar when you have the Harry Potter soundtrack playing in your headphones.

4. Midterms are starting

Midterms are scary, I know. But they can also be a good thing! Taking the time now to properly
prepare for your first exam, and doing well, will make up for any of the assignments or quizzes
you’ve missed. You will also most likely have a slight break from homework or new lecture
content around your exam date, which can be very clutch. Even if you don’t see the plus side of
midterm season, it is still now or never. The first midterm is a great chance to start off strong and give yourself some comfortable wiggle room. But, if you don’t bite the bullet studying hard now and make sure you’re on track so far, it’s going to be a tough rest of the semester playing catch up.

5. It’s finally cold enough for fall fashion

You’re lying if you don’t think you feel smarter in trousers and a turtleneck than shorts and a
t-shirt. Outfits have a lot of influence over your mood, and now is the perfect time to start
dressing like a straight-A student. Go be that preppy main character.

6. October break is on the horizon

Two more weeks. Use these next two weeks to clear through as much work as possible so your
break can actually be a break. You need it and you deserve it. Thinking about having 4 days of
no stress is pretty much all the motivation I need to get as far ahead with my workload as
possible. Small victories lay ahead.

Katherine Raykova is the President at the Her Campus at Purdue chapter. She’s been a part of Purdue’s Her Campus chapter since fall of 2020! She oversees chapter meetings, brand partnerships, a monthly chapter newsletter, and general maintenance to keep her chapter afloat. Her favorite areas to write about are fashion, books, plants, and all things witchy. Katherine is currently a senior at Purdue University, double majoring in Mechanical Engineering and English with a minor in Intellectual Property Law for Engineers. She has completed a year of industry experience working in aerospace consulting and is currently an undergraduate research assistant for the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Purdue. Outside of classes and Her Campus, Katherine is also a writing tutor at Purdue’s On-Campus Writing Lab (OWL) and a mentor for the Women in Engineering program. She hopes to attend law school next year to become a patent attorney. When she gets the chance, Katherine reads and spends as much time outside as possible. She loves listening to music and going on long walks around campus and nearby nature centers – even in the winter. Most days, she practices yoga, plays with tarot cards, and drinks multiple cups of tea. When she feels inspired, Katherine writes fiction or takes on a sewing/knitting project.