photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash
Life > Experiences

6 Reasons Why Every College Student Should Celebrate Friendsgiving At Least Once

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Now that Halloween’s officially over (we are “boo”-hooing about it too), you might already be thinking about pulling out the Christmas trees and putting Mariah Carey on Spotify. But before you get started on the green and red festivities, don’t forget about the second fall holiday that’s coming right around the corner – Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is a holiday a lot of college students look forward to – finally getting to go home after knocking out some stressful midterms, and the chance to eat some delicious food without having to feel guilty because – THANKSGIVING!

But if you live out of state, out of the country, or just have other responsibilities holding you back, going home may not always be an option available to you. But that should not stop you from celebrating with those you love! Here are 6 reasons why every college student should celebrate Friendsgiving at least once.

1. It brings people together.

When I spent Thanksgiving on campus I invited whoever I knew was staying on campus, because I wanted everyone to have a warm place to be on Thanksgiving. By the end of the night, we were all confidently calling each other friends. Friends are the family you get to choose. Spending a holiday with them is just as meaningful as spending holidays back home. You only get so many opportunities to be surrounded by these people before you all go your separate ways after graduation. And not only do you get to have a great time, you are also creating a wonderful memory for your friends who couldn’t make it back home.

2. It’s cheaper

Let’s face it. As college students, we are always living on a budget. Staying on campus for thanksgiving saves us the gas or airfare home, and we can celebrate potluck style – which is cheaper for everyone. You also get to taste dishes that your friends like to eat during Thanksgiving, and what brings people closer than food?

3. It motivates you to cook

If you are anything like me, you know how hard it is to stay motivated to cook healthy meals. But knowing that your friends are coming over will really help push you to make the extra effort. It also gives you the opportunity to try out new recipes. Wow your friends with that dish you saw on Tasty you’ve always wanted to make. It’s been saved in your Facebook for months now, why not cook it for real? Time to bring out your inner “little chef”.

4. You can escape the awkward family questions

“What are your plans after college?” “Have you found yourself a boyfriend/girlfriend yet?” Spending Thanksgiving with your friends guarantee there will be no awkward questions being thrown at you at the dinner table. They are familiar with what you’re going through and are probably in on all your inside jokes already. You’ll be able to talk about what’s really going on in your life, (hopefully) cringe free.

5. There’s no pressure

You’re with your friends! Bust out those weird dance moves. Blast your post-break up playlist! There’s no judgment, and no shame, because you are with the ones you love. And honestly? Your friends are probably just as weird as you anyway.

6. It’s the perfect way to thank your friends

Food, good music, and ever better company. What better opportunity to tell your friends you are thankful for their existence? College is one of the most special times of our lives. Time flies when you’re having fun, and these people are the reason for that. Before it all flashes by, tell your friends you love them, by spending this Friendsgiving with them.

Adrienne Lin

Purdue '19

From the tropical island of Taiwan to the corn fields of Indiana, Adrienne is currently a senior at Purdue University studying Public Relations & Strategic Communications. In her free time, she loves, binge watching Friends, traveling, and online shopping.