Style

5 Ways to Find Your New Sense of Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Finding a new sense of style can be an exciting and expressive journey. However, it can be a difficult journey to start. I started to embark on this journey in 2020 when I realized that I wasn’t happy with the pieces that I had in my closet. Despite being a very positive and cheery person, I noticed that I owned a lot of black and dark colored clothes. So, I decided to turnover my closet, develop my own style, and experiment with my clothes to help build my confidence and show others my personality in a new way.

Here are 5 tips I would like to share on how to begin your own journey of expressing yourself from the inside out:

Look for Inspiration

Don’t feel pressured in feeling like you have to develop your new sense of style all by yourself. It is okay to look at the various style trends, create a Pinterest board, or even be inspired by an outfit you’ve seen a stranger wear. You can mix and match these style inspirations and create looks that are comfortable for you and express your personality. Personally, I draw my style from the confident women in my life. Seeing my sister, friends, and roommates confidently flaunt their style, encourages me to unapologetically do the same.

Search for Statement Pieces

Read this carefully: statement pieces are your best friend. This is a mantra I must repeat to myself whenever I am shopping. If you are like me, then you have a lot of essential pieces in your closet like t-shirts for layering, cardigans, turtlenecks, and blue jeans. While these are great to have in your closet, they should serve as a base to your outfits. Statement pieces can add some flare to your outfit and help you better express your style. Try going for some funky earrings, colorful or printed shirts, textured fabrics, or shoes with colorways that are different from the ones you already have in your closet.

Do it on a Budget

Thrifting is a great way to try different pieces and develop your sense of style in a way that is “college student budget” friendly. If you pick a piece that doesn’t quite work out, at least you paid a discounted price for it. My favorite places to thrift for new clothes are Goodwill, Salvation Army, and ThredUp.

Express Yourself

Ultimately, your new sense of style should reflect your personality and interests. Expressing yourself through fashion can be a frustrating and anxious experience but staying true to yourself will make it a freeing experience. In the end, no one can tell you how to dress, but yourself! So, wear what makes you feel comfortable and confident. The haters are just going to have to deal with it!

The exciting part of it all is that your closet will grow with you and will reflect the various life changes that you make. Through it all, confidence is key. This is easier said than done but remember to try to have fun with it and show the world who you are one fabulous outfit at a time!

Shanise Buford is a junior at Purdue studying Finance with a concentration in Data Analytics. Originally, she is from Plainfield, IL. In her free time, she enjoys thrift shopping, exploring new coffee shops, cooking for friends and family, and going for walks.