Career > Work

5 Tips to Go Above and Beyond at Your Next Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

As a college student, there is a high probability you either have already or will have to take part in an interview. While they can be very stressful, I have a few tips and tricks to share to help ease those nerves and to do well in that interview! Please note that these are my personal opinions and are not guaranteed to score you a position!

1. Go in confident. This interview is to highlight your skills and to prove why you should get the position. The interviewer is not looking for reasons to get rid of you but to find reasons why they should pick you. By going with confidence, you are showing them that you think that you should get the position which in turn will show them that you think you are worthy. If you don’t go with confidence, they will think that maybe you don’t think you should get the position and that that sends the wrong message.
  • Dress the part. If you look professional, the interviewer will be better able to think of you in a professional light. It sounds bad, but people innately judge others by their appearance. Don’t give the interviewer a reason to think poorly of you based on how you dress.
  • Prepare to talk about your accomplishments beforehand. In almost every interview I have taken part in, the interviewer has asked me to highlight an accomplishment of mine. Before the interview, I will think about my accomplishments and why they highlight my professional qualities. By thinking about these things beforehand, I am able to compose my thoughts and be prepared for this question. I then am less likely to stumble on my words and sound like a more professional and competent person.
  • On the other side of that argument, think about some of your struggles/failures. It is best to think of some ideas beforehand since this is a tougher topic. You want to talk about a failure but not something that makes you look undesirable. It is best to talk about a failure/struggle that helped you grow and improve as a leader or a candidate.
  • Be yourself. Do not try to be someone you are not. Interviewers can tell most of the time if you are being disingenuous or fake. They are looking for candidates that are real and honest people that are suited to the position. Be yourself and put your best foot forward.

I hope these tips helped you and that you found a new tactic to apply to your next interview! Good luck out there in this competitive interview-based world!

Carissa Ray is the senior editor at the Her Campus Purdue Chapter. She edits all articles under all topics for the chapter and helps with events throughout the semester. She also writes articles for the chapter and typically writes entertainment pieces. She has been a member of the chapter since January of 2023! Carissa is currently a junior studying at Purdue University. She is majoring in Psychological Sciences with minors in Spanish and Forensic Sciences. Aside from Her Campus, Carissa is also on the board of the Purdue Chapter of Omicron Delta Kappa, a leadership honors society. She is the Service and Events Chair as well as the stand-in Alumni and Awards chair. For the honors society, she is in charge of creating the monthly Alumni newsletters and editing them. She is also a mentor for the College of Health and Human Sciences. In the future, she hopes to become a Forensic Psychologist and potentially work for the FBI. When she is not busy with school, Carissa is a huge book nerd and loves to read anything with mystery, romance, or fantasy. She also loves dancing and is part of the Purdue Higher Ground Dance Company. She enjoys jazz, hip hop, and theater dance styles. Finally, if she has any extra time, she is a TV buff and enjoys binging TV shows like Modern Family, The Vampire Diaries, or Supernatural.