Life > Academics

5 tips to absolutely dominate finals week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

The time that every college student dreads is right around the corner, and that is finals week. For students, finals week creates such a stressful and overwhelming time. It is the one last step before summer vacation and finally being done with a certain class. Here are 5 tips to keep you from going completely insane during one of the most stressful weeks of the entire semester.

1. Set a time to start studying and a time to finish

Coming from someone who is an absolute perfectionist when it comes to schoolwork, I used to study from sunup to sundown and would not really give myself any time to relax before or after because I always felt guilty that time could be used for more studying. This may be finals week, but your mental health is just as important. Set an alarm or timer on your phone, study during that time with no disruptions then once that timer goes off give yourself a break by putting down the notebook and stepping away from the computer even if it is just for an hour.

2. Reward Yourself

This is something that is especially important for me. Whether it is buying yourself a new outfit, or a coffee or even watching your favorite tv show, it is very important to reward yourself for the smallest things in life.

3. DO NOT study in your bed

According to multiple websites, it has been proven that working and studying in your bed has negatively affected people and reduced focus. I am someone with a very short attention span and I have noticed the difference in how energized and focused I felt studying in my bed versus studying someone sitting up. It is fine to study in your room, but my advice is to study at your desk or even on the floor to help your concentration.

4. Take a hot girl walk

Outdoor walks are one of my favorite things ever and now that the weather is finally warming up again, my advice is Take that walk!

5. Color coordinates your things

This is honestly just a way to get all your assignments, meetings, and exams organized in one place and a quick way to different things.

Happy (almost) finals week everyone!

Emani Powell

Purdue '22

Emani is currently a senior at Purdue University studying mass media communications and minoring in film and video studies with the hopes of becoming an entertainment journalist. In her free time she loves to read, bake, and binge any tv show that is currently trending.