Career

4 Ways To Spice Up Your LinkedIn Profile

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Looking for internships and jobs can be intimidating. A website called LinkedIn has made it much easier, now, to put yourself out there and find a job. However, how can you make your profile stand out? How can you make it unique? It may seem like every profile looks the same at first glance, but with these few tips you are sure to have a profile that feels more you.

Profile Photo

Your profile photo is one of the first thing employers see. It should be a headshot and not a picture of you at the beach; make it look professional. Also make sure you are smiling in your profile photo. A smiling person is more attractive to people than someone who is frowning.

Share your skills

On your LinkedIn profile you are able to list your top three skills. Think about what your talents lie in and arrange your skills around that. Do you know the ins and outs of PowerPoint… what about excel… what about any adobe applications? Things like this enhance your profile and chances of being noticed by employers.

Upload your resumé

You are able to upload your resume to LinkedIn, so you don’t have to send the same copy over and over again to employers. Adding your resumé to your profile also is a good way to sum up your profile in one sheet of paper. This also for employers to be able to find contact information from you and contact you about potential openings.

Write a bio

Writing your bio lets you add a unique touch to your profile. This is similar to a cover letter but more so focused around you and not a particular position or job you are interested in. In here talk about you as a person, where you went to school, any accomplishments you may hold, etc.

LinkedIn has made job searching easier than it was in the past. You can easily scroll through job postings and with the click of a button… you can put yourself out there for employers to find you. Hopefully, my tips to create a unique LinkedIn profile help you on your journey to finding an internship and maybe even a full-time job.

Ava Smith

Purdue '23

Hello! My name is Ava Smith. I am a junior studying Advertising and Film Studies. I am from a suburb of Chicago called St. Charles and enjoy all the wonderful parks it has to offer. My hobbies consist of writing, filmmaking, and spontaneous adventures with friends. Currently, I am the Multimedia Manager for Boiler Communication and Social Media Moguel at the Hub on State Street. This is my second year being involved in Her Campus and I am so excited about all the new memories and opportunities I will make this year and for years to come!