3 Reasons to Learn A Foreign Language

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

During my first two years of high-school, I took Spanish and hated every second of it. I would dread coming to class and counted down the minutes until it was over. It wasn’t the language that I didn’t like, and to be honest, it wasn’t even the class. It was just so hard for me to speak and form sentences! And I hated having to speak in class! I still do, and I didn’t like being called on randomly to speak Spanish. When sophomore year came to an end, I was ecstatic my hardship was over. But, over the course of high school, I realized how important and useful speaking another language really is. So, I downloaded Duolingo on my phone and decided to learn German because I’m half Germanic. My dad was born in Nuremberg and his family is all from Germany, so I really wanted to learn the language to fit in. I loved it so much, I decided to minor in it, and although I still get anxious speaking German in class, I remind myself it’s okay. Learning a foreign language is hard work and mistakes are vital! It’s how you learn and I’m having fun memorizing a different language and discovering a new culture. Throughout my  article, I will explore three key reasons to learn a foreign language.

Strengthens your cognitive skills.

Learning a foreign language actually makes you smarter. According to The Conversation, knowledge of more than one language is associated with better problem-solving skills and creativity. In addition, being bilingual improves your memory. Studies show that kids whose families spoke a second language at home scored better on cognitive tests than native speakers. (theconversation.com)

Advances your career.

You don’t have to be fluent but knowing the basics of a specific language makes your resume stand out. On your resume, just list your known languages and put beginner, proficient, or advanced in parenthesis. Learning another language shows you’re a well-rounded individual.

Gives you an insight into various cultures.

Having knowledge of another language allows you to travel around the world and explore different cultures. Also, it allows you to connect to new people!

Whether it’s Italian or French, learning a foreign language is a huge benefit for your academic and professional life. It doesn’t matter if your fluent or just a beginner, it’s still a great asset to have in the real world. As cheesy as it sounds, be afraid to make mistakes, it doesn’t make you look stupid. Have fun in the process! Au Revoir.

Jordan is a junior at Purdue and majoring in History with two minors in Classical Studies and Forensic Science. Originally from Indiana, she loves drinking chai lattes, playing tennis, binge-watching Netflix, and spending time with her golden-retriever dog, Beau.