White Walls or Blank Canvases? Spice Up Your Space This Semester With These Decor Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purchase chapter.

Having trouble making your dorm or apartment feel like home? Trying to further spice up your already glamorous SUNY walls? Aside from art, music, writing and dance, Purchase students have a serious knack for interior design, and some students shared their tips for making dorm life a little cozier this semester.

Posters are a must in any dorm or apartment. But forget Van Gogh, because some of the greatest art to hang is found around campus for free. There are tons of flyers on bulletin boards, advertising different shows and events. These unique, and Purchase-exclusive decorations could jazz up even the whitest of walls.

Adding film to your space can also make it feel like a home away from home. Tons of students are photography majors, and they produce some pretty amazing work. Supporting them and decorating is a win-win.

“If you don’t mind cutting up photos, you could make a giant collage on your wall,” said photography student Dave Medina. “You can make a whole landscape out of pictures.”

Another tip is to use frames to make pictures look more homey and complete. It’s an easy way to class up photos or posters, and ensure they stay in tact all year long. You can use different sizes to break it up, and make any wall one-of-a-kind.

If the same drab furniture has got you down, your local Salvation Army is a great place to find special pieces to make your space different.

“Salvo is a really cool place for college students to find some fillers for their apartments. We got a coffee table for $9,” said Rosemarie Fuentes, junior, “Everything is dirt cheap.”

There’s so much more than coffee tables though. Old records, vintage artwork, and additional seating can add that little touch to your apartment or room- without breaking the bank.

Pillows, couch covers, tapestries, and sheets can add a fun pattern to a bland room, and a plush feel. If you’ve got those plain blue couches (like so many Purchase students do) decorative throw pillows can add a unique feel to them. You could also drape a blanket over the couch to give it a more comfortable appeal.

Another idea is to display your things. DVDs, books, and magazines are a simple space filler, and a decorative way to display your tastes. These additions are colorful and give insight into you and your interests, not just your living area.

Feeling at home away from home can be difficult, so making your room comfortable is important. Between the stress of course work and tests, every student needs somewhere cozy to escape to. With these tips and your creativity, you can create a space that is truly unique this year.

Christie is a sophomore journalism major at Purchase College in NY, but she’s a Jersey Girl at heart. When she isn’t studying (or being sarcastic), she spends her summers selling crafty jewelry on Long Beach Island and making coffee for her superiors at Parker and Partner’s Marketing Resources. She’s a sucker for debates, sushi, and a really good book. Her dream job (this week) would be at the Village Voice, but she’d be happy with a byline and paycheck. She hopes to make HerCampus bigger and better than ever at Purchase and is excited for the chance to work with these lovely HC ladies.