Style Icon- Sable Starr

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purchase chapter.

Okay, so maybe I will never actually dress (or act) like Sable Starr, the “supergroupie” who, in the 1970s, was notoriously linked to such stars as David Bowie, Iggy Pop, and Johnny Thunders of the New York Dolls.  I do, however, totally love this photo of her.

How great is that little ensemble?  I love the hat and sunglasses, and the shirt is too cute.  It’s crazy to think that Sable Starr and other teenage girls flaunted their way onto the rock scene at as early as thirteen years old!  They sure had guts.

I recently read an article entitled “Rock Groupies and Feminism” on Rachel Rabbit White’s website, where I learned a lot about the “groupie babies” of the 1970s.  Did you know that there was even a magazine (that ran for only five issues) centered around groupie lifestyle?  The magazine was called Star, and you can find excerpts of it here.  

You can read more style icons, things I love, and other fashion posts on my blog- Love and Look Pretty

Christie is a sophomore journalism major at Purchase College in NY, but she’s a Jersey Girl at heart. When she isn’t studying (or being sarcastic), she spends her summers selling crafty jewelry on Long Beach Island and making coffee for her superiors at Parker and Partner’s Marketing Resources. She’s a sucker for debates, sushi, and a really good book. Her dream job (this week) would be at the Village Voice, but she’d be happy with a byline and paycheck. She hopes to make HerCampus bigger and better than ever at Purchase and is excited for the chance to work with these lovely HC ladies.