Look Hot and Beat the Heat With These Summer Styles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purchase chapter.

Over the last couple days something amazing has decided to grace Purchase College with its long awaited presence. The sun! And what better way to repay our respects than with our dust-ridden summer clothing!

One huge trend this upcoming summer season is neon bright colors. Any dose of festivity to your wardrobe immediately screams “Hello summer, I’m yours!” Crop tee’s paired with loose shorts and pair of wedges are the perfect combo. Try H&M’s new loose-fitting shorts in pink or black and white for only 13 bucks! Cheap and definitely chic. As for the wedges, no one says you’re stuck with ones that give you towering height, why not op for a slight sandal wedge? Take for example the Dolce Vita Queen Wedge Sandal from Free People. Simple and sweet.

Guess what else is making a come-back? Sun hats are back and bigger than ever this summer, or some are smaller if that’s your preference. Pair with the correct fitting maxi dress for the laid-back board walk vibe, or with a brightly colored blazer and pant-shorts for the classic city girl look.

For the ladies proud to show of that sexy midriff and clinched waist, try this summer’s hot little item (literally it’s that small), called the bandeau top. The bandeau is a twist on the bustier without all the bedazzle; the unexpected cut and pop or color form this top alone gives any girl a smart look (especially when paired under a blazer with a ¾ sleeve cut).

Another item making its way up the too-hot-to-trot list is the jumpsuit. No longer your grandma’s dress from the 70’s, this revamped loose-fitting halter-neck attire is just the thing. Add the jumpsuit to your wardrobe in a mix of prints, the more festive the better! Check out the jumpsuit at Forever 21 or (if you’re really trying to be fancy) BCBG. Whether you’re into the short trimmed or down to your toes jumpsuit, either selection is a must for this summer.

Christie is a sophomore journalism major at Purchase College in NY, but she’s a Jersey Girl at heart. When she isn’t studying (or being sarcastic), she spends her summers selling crafty jewelry on Long Beach Island and making coffee for her superiors at Parker and Partner’s Marketing Resources. She’s a sucker for debates, sushi, and a really good book. Her dream job (this week) would be at the Village Voice, but she’d be happy with a byline and paycheck. She hopes to make HerCampus bigger and better than ever at Purchase and is excited for the chance to work with these lovely HC ladies.