The Last Great Culture Shock?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purchase chapter.

This year’s Culture Shock festival, casually being called “The Last Great Culture Shock?” by those in charge, has been bringing out the negative feedback among the Purchase College student population since the lineup was announced three weeks ago.

Maybe more appropriately thought of as “The Last Worst Culture Shock?” by many students, the show will be hosted by R. Stevie Moore, and will include acts such as The Feelies, Real Estate, Rubblebucket, O’Death, and several other artists.

Much of the disappointment that came with the lineup announcement has been geared towards Nick Noto, the Major Events Coordinator, who’s spent months contacting acts, and budgeting them.

“The Stood’s like a mafia. They just look out for their own,” said sophomore, Sean McVerry.

However, that’s just one of the many issues students are having with the festival so far. If they’re not completely disappointed, not too many are completely thrilled either.

The lineup was announced without one key component: the headliner. At the time, Noto reported that this last act is still in the process of paperwork and could be either Curren$y, Ghostface Killah and GZA, or Cam’ron.

“The show’s felt thrown together since they announced it” said journalism student, Jordan Lujan, “They should have waited until they had everyone.”

Just a few days later, Cam’ron was announced as the official decision. Several students seemed excited, but still others took on apathetic attitudes towards the artists.

“I think I like Real Estate, but I’m not really sure,” claimed Jacob Sachs-Michelanie, “and I like the idea of R. Stevie Moore, but I haven’t heard his music. I guess I just don’t care that much.”

Another student, Rosemarie Fuentes, said that she’s neither impressed nor disappointed with the bands, but she’s not in love with any of them.

Taylor Gesel, PSGA Student Activities Coordinator, commented, “We’re never going to please everyone, but if we make it so that everyone can come and enjoy some aspect of it, then we’ve done our job.”

Though Noto responded to questions about the lineup with a video of “Who Do You Think You Are” by the Spice Girls via Facebook message, he managed to skimpily answer with a few sentences about the feedback.

“The biggest struggle should be dealing with all the hate, but the arguments have been so weak, and so ignorant, that it’s been a walk in the park,” he said.

Lujan has come to the conclusion that many other students have, which is “no matter what, I’m going to try and have a good time,” he said.

“The people who aren’t happy with something are usually the only ones we hear from,” said Gesel.

Those students will have to rely on the rides, vendors and atmosphere for their fun at Culture Shock 2011.

In the coming days until the show, Noto said his biggest issue will be “avoiding being stabbed.”

“It’s not going to be until the day of the show, or right after, that we’ll hear about people really being excited,” added Gesel.

Christie is a sophomore journalism major at Purchase College in NY, but she’s a Jersey Girl at heart. When she isn’t studying (or being sarcastic), she spends her summers selling crafty jewelry on Long Beach Island and making coffee for her superiors at Parker and Partner’s Marketing Resources. She’s a sucker for debates, sushi, and a really good book. Her dream job (this week) would be at the Village Voice, but she’d be happy with a byline and paycheck. She hopes to make HerCampus bigger and better than ever at Purchase and is excited for the chance to work with these lovely HC ladies.