How to Dress to Impress, Even When You’re Dead

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purchase chapter.

Only at Purchase is Halloween also celebrated mid-spring, and in the form of tuxedoes and prom dresses.

Each year early into April, Purchase has its annual un-dead event, Zombie Prom. Now I know what you’re thinking, possibly something along the lines of, what the hell does one wear to such an eccentric affair? Well that is where I, if you will, crawl in to provide some expertise in zombie attire, make-up and hair.

Clothing: A dress is the common choice of clothing, and the more extravagant, the better. Last year’s Zombie Prom consisted of every style of dress, from the ruffle upon ruffle wedding gown, to skin-tight zombie-after-clubbing dress. No matter the kind of dress you happen to be looking for, be sure that it is something you would most-likely never wear again. That being said, try for vintage clothing stores as well as thrift shops; that way whichever kind of dress you’re looking for will already appear aged. Perfect for that I’m-one-of-the-living-dead look.

If you’re not one for ruining a perfectly good dress, but still want to show off your legs, try for fish-net or diamond-stitched stockings layered under a pair of jean shorts. The length of your jean shorts is to be decided by you, but a great way to create an impressive zombie-fied look is to take something with a sharp enough edge, and run it across your stocking until the desired ripped is displayed. Red food coloring can be sprayed on the clothing for the gruesome blood and gore look, however much is up to you.

Make-up: Now just because you’re turning into an undead zombie-like character, doesn’t mean you have to look completely run-down. To fully bring out the brightest shade of any color you happen to be wearing on your face, primer is a must! Especially if you’re taking pictures, primer allows for the flash of the camera to pick up every color on your face without washing it out. If you want to achieve a rather pale look, in addition to primer apply concealer a shade lighter than your original complexion, and even go over your eyebrows. Re-color brows a shade lighter than your natural color for a complete faded look.

Maybe you want to appear as a dolled up zombie, in this case apply a generous amount of lipstick in a favorable shade of red across the apples of your cheeks and rub it until completely covered. False lashes are a great addition to any zombie get-up, just make sure to apply mascara over the falsies in order to blend your natural lashes to your false ones. Finally, the fun part of this equation for achieving any sexy zombie chick is the use of eye liner. Start for the center of the top lid and run the eyeliner to the corner with a slight amount of pressure; and if wings are desired, simply run the eyeliner to the corner and swish it upwards.

Hair: For many going to prom, hair is a serious and very essential portion of bringing your look together. Zombie Prom is no different, except for the fact that we now have the excuse to rock that crazy 80’s style teased hair. To achieve the teased look, the easiest way to do so is to use a rat-tail comb, or one with fine teeth and run it upwards through each section of your hair until the right amount of “tease” has been applied. * Note: teased hair can last up to a few days, in order to get out the unruly knots once your tired of the look, it’s best to give your hair a deep leave-in condition. The deep condition will loosen any knotted hair, no matter your hair type.

So lastly, be safe, and remember you only get to play the undead at Purchase and get away with it. Make your look count and be one to remember! 

Christie is a sophomore journalism major at Purchase College in NY, but she’s a Jersey Girl at heart. When she isn’t studying (or being sarcastic), she spends her summers selling crafty jewelry on Long Beach Island and making coffee for her superiors at Parker and Partner’s Marketing Resources. She’s a sucker for debates, sushi, and a really good book. Her dream job (this week) would be at the Village Voice, but she’d be happy with a byline and paycheck. She hopes to make HerCampus bigger and better than ever at Purchase and is excited for the chance to work with these lovely HC ladies.