Halloween 2011 at Purchase

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purchase chapter.

In the middle of midterms, Halloween will arrive this Monday, giving Purchase students an excuse to put down their books for a weekend of mischief.  Although during the day the library maintains a steady stream of studying, it is evident that the campus is getting into the holiday spirit.  Students have been displaying festive decorations outside the apartments, which have been creeping up for over a week.

While pumpkins, cotton spider webs, and ghostly silhouette window stickers have been adorning the front doors of the apartments, the real holiday effort is being put into the costumes.  Bought, borrowed, or made, the outfits seen this weekend will flaunt the originality and creativity our campus is known for.

Jess Schneider, a senior studying journalism, will be dressed as a scarecrow this weekend.  “I usually just look inside my closet to see what I can work with,” said Schneider.  Her apartment mate, Laura Augustin, plans to be a parrot.  Augustin bought a red dress that she will accessorize with blue and yellow fabric and two large “pom-pom things” for wings.

Alkis Meimaris, a junior anthropology major, said, “I’ve dressed up every year since being at college.”  This year he is going as a witch and plans on borrowing the dress, shoes, and stockings from various friends.  His costume this year only cost him $5 for the hat.  Last year, he and his friends were “UFO enthusiasts” sporting tin foil hats with antenna and signs that read “We Believe.”

“It’s my favorite holiday,” said Dani Culver, a junior, who will be dressed as Marilyn Monroe this weekend. 

“Generally I make (my costume) but this year I was on a tight budget,” Culver said.  She will be wearing a white dress she already owns and a blonde wig she bought at a costume store in White Plains.  The sparkly, peep toe stilettoes are Culver’s favorite part of her outfit because, as it would appear, she doesn’t have the opportunity to wear them often.

Another trend for Halloween costumes is to coordinate outfits with a group.  Weaver Rhodes, a junior dancer, will be dressed as a character from the video game “Mortal Combat” along with seven other friends.  Most of their outfits have been assembled from clothes they already own such as the “ninja and warrior pants” as Rhodes called them.  However, some essentials must be purchased such as the Asian, conical shape straw hat and the black cloth slippers.  Some other group costumes Rhodes has been a part of have been “Teen Titans” and Shaggy from the cast of “Scooby Doo.”

Of course, there will be some students out this weekend who will be dressed as themselves.  Either put off by work or studying, not everyone can work up the gusto to participate in the holiday spirit.

“Halloween is on a Monday,” said Anthony O’Shea, expressing frustration while some people see the timing as an excuse to celebrate all weekend long.

Whether or not you will be sporting a costume this weekend, be sure to go out and witness the work that fellow students have been planning and strategizing between classes.  At a school where artistic talents are the norm, this Halloween weekend is sure to flaunt the exceptionally creative side of the Purchase student body.

Christie is a sophomore journalism major at Purchase College in NY, but she’s a Jersey Girl at heart. When she isn’t studying (or being sarcastic), she spends her summers selling crafty jewelry on Long Beach Island and making coffee for her superiors at Parker and Partner’s Marketing Resources. She’s a sucker for debates, sushi, and a really good book. Her dream job (this week) would be at the Village Voice, but she’d be happy with a byline and paycheck. She hopes to make HerCampus bigger and better than ever at Purchase and is excited for the chance to work with these lovely HC ladies.