FORTH Combats Rape Culture, Victim Blaming at NYC SlutWalk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purchase chapter.

With SlutWalk NYC approaching this Saturday, FORTH (Feminists Organizing Real Transformation Here), a student organization on campus, sat down to discuss their stance, and involvement.

SlutWalk began in Toronto, when a police officer at a York University safety forum told women to not dress like “sluts” in order to not be victimized.

“What do you think of when you hear the word ‘slut?’” a FORTH board member asked the room.

Several answers were given including, “Mean Girls,” “mini skirts,” and “cat fights”. One participant said, “I think ‘who gets to be a slut?’”

This question was posed alongside others: Who gets to use the word? What is a “slut”?

“When was the last time we had young women mobilized about something,” questioned FORTH Events Coordinator, Erica Basco, “and this is something to end rape culture.”

On SlutWalk NYC’s webpage, “rape culture” is described as “the fact that sexual violence is prevalent and pervasive and is maintained through dominant attitudes and beliefs about gender, sexuality, and violence.”

“This is a movement to combat rape culture,” said Basco, “and I think it’s one of the most important feminist projects of out time.”

Despite some differences in opinion, the group of young women agreed on certain pressing issues. The idea of “victim blaming” perplexed many attendees, along with society teachingdon’t get raped versus don’t rape.

“It’s the reality of living in a world where we have to protect ourselves,” said Sam Lifson,  a SlutWalk NYC organizer. “I’m sick of this reality, and I want to change it.”

“We shouldn’t be teaching to watch what we’re doing, we should be teaching men not to rape and sexually assault women,” Megan Edmonds, one of the FORTH’s outreach and diversity coordinators.

This weekend, thousands of people will gather in Union Square to march and rally against “rape culture”.

“I really hope that we can do better than feminist movements before us,” said Arielle Cohen, Co-Caption of FORTH. “I’m so happy that we’re doing something about it, even if it’s controversial,” she added.

Lifson said that SlutWalk NYC has been in the works for a couple of months now, and is following sites around the globe, including Singapore and even Cape Town, South Africa.

“People will call us ‘sluts’ and we’re going to take it and vomit it back in their faces,” Lifson said, “We’re going to call it SlutWalk!”

This organized, important work can be done by anyone, as Lifson said anyone can come to the meetings, and they’re hoping to make it an annual event.

To reclaim the word “slut” and combat rape culture, log onto slutwalknyc.com, or follow the cause on Twitter, @SlutWalkNYC.

Christie is a sophomore journalism major at Purchase College in NY, but she’s a Jersey Girl at heart. When she isn’t studying (or being sarcastic), she spends her summers selling crafty jewelry on Long Beach Island and making coffee for her superiors at Parker and Partner’s Marketing Resources. She’s a sucker for debates, sushi, and a really good book. Her dream job (this week) would be at the Village Voice, but she’d be happy with a byline and paycheck. She hopes to make HerCampus bigger and better than ever at Purchase and is excited for the chance to work with these lovely HC ladies.