Facing the Mirror Part 3: Catherine Castro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purchase chapter.

The writers of Her Campus Purchase know all too well how much time can be wasted loathing our physical appearance, rather than embracing the unique beauty we possess. In our new column, “Facing the Mirror,” we hope that by sharing our personal insecurities and the parts of us that we adore, our readers will be inspired to do the same. So take a look in the mirror, smile, and own the beauty you have. 

I love my hair.  It’s frizzy, big, wild and untamable.  Of course, I didn’t always appreciate my lion look. Like every other girl I wanted straight, long hair and to fit in with the crowd.  Caring for my hair when I was younger seemed much more complicated than what it really was.  I had a ritual of mixing the right amount of gel and mousse to tame the frizz. 

At the age of 14 on the 4th of July I decided to shave my head.  And no, this wasn’t a Britney moment.   I was diagnosed with Leukemia and was undergoing chemotherapy.  At first being bald didn’t bother me as much as I thought it would, it felt liberating and free.  I would shop for really cool scarves, hats and other accessories and I didn’t have to care about doing my hair. But that got old quickly and all I could do was pray for my curly mop back. 
When my hair started growing back, I was so nervous. It was short and spiky, straight.  I thought, “Great I’m going to be another straight haired girl from Long Island.” All I wanted to do was play with my bouncy hair.

After my treatment and being in remission two and a half years later, my hair grew back thicker and curlier than ever.  I love leaving it naturally huge and let my medusa locks go crazy. I don’t have to worry about the weather ruining it. I even feel like it’s a part of my personality and makes me stand out in the crowd.   I learned that I have to work with what I was given and make the best of it.  All I do to style it is dry it with a towel, put some styling cream in it and scream out “Long hair don’t care” and I’m good for the day. 

Christie is a sophomore journalism major at Purchase College in NY, but she’s a Jersey Girl at heart. When she isn’t studying (or being sarcastic), she spends her summers selling crafty jewelry on Long Beach Island and making coffee for her superiors at Parker and Partner’s Marketing Resources. She’s a sucker for debates, sushi, and a really good book. Her dream job (this week) would be at the Village Voice, but she’d be happy with a byline and paycheck. She hopes to make HerCampus bigger and better than ever at Purchase and is excited for the chance to work with these lovely HC ladies.