Zach Bryan and Noah Kahan: Their Stories of Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Zach Bryan and Noah Kahan are two artists who have recently taken over the music scene. Kahan and Bryan create similar types of music: a mix of folk and country with a modern pop flare. And, in just a short amount of time, they have gone from being unknown to two of the most popular artists of this decade.

In an oversaturated music industry, these two artists managed to capture the attention of Gen Z, which helped to kickstart their musical careers.

Zach bryan

Bryan first got his big break back in 2019 with his song “Heading South.” The song peaked at 27 on the Billboard Hot Rock and Alternative Songs chart. Fans resonated with his poetry-like lyrics and blue-collar lifestyle foundation.

Bryan first found his success by posting himself singing his songs on YouTube. From there, he has recorded four albums, with his most recent self-titled album, “Zach Bryan,” debuting at No. 1 on the Billboard Charts. The song “I Remember Everything,” which he recorded with country singer Kacey Musgraves, reached the top of the Billboard Hot 100 list.

Bryan was nominated for the 2023 Best Country Solo Performance Grammy and won the Academy of Country Music Awards 2023 New Male Artist of the Year. He is currently on his “The Quittin Time” tour which consists of more than 15 sold-out shows and many more shows on presale for this year.

Noah Kahan

Kahan became popular with his song “Stick Season,” and he now has more than 33 million monthly listeners on Spotify. “Stick Season,” which was released in October 2022, has amassed over 487 million streams.

Kahan, a Vermont native, has taken the music world by storm. His folk style of songwriting combined with his charismatic persona has turned him into a rising music star.

Since his “Stick Season” release, Kahan has had several No. 1 appearances on the alternative and rock billboard charts. Kahan is currently on a jam-packed tour coming into 2024.

Although Kahan’s songs may be seen as folk and indie-styled, they have attracted masses of Gen Z listeners and fans. His lyrics talk about heartbreak, loss and moving away from home — all common qualities among those in their early 20s.

Kahan has also changed the narrative surrounding folk music by releasing a song with rapper Post Malone, which gives a whole new meaning to folk music, how it can be interpreted and who might be interested in listening to it.

“Dial Drunk (with Post Malone)” has topped alternative charts since its release in July 2023, and Kahan has partnered with many other artists on his most recent album, including Kacey Musgraves.

As if Bryan and Kahan had any trouble topping the charts individually, they released a song together. Kahan appeared as a feature on Bryans’s newest album, “Boys of Faith,” last September.

These two artists have taken over the music industry with their unique approaches to previously “basic” music genres and their engagement with the younger generations. There is plenty more to come from Bryan and Kahan as they both continue to tour well into 2024.

Adie is a second year at Penn State studying Public Relations with a minor in Digital Media Trends and Analytics.