Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer With Notebooks
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Career

Your Survival Guide to Virtual Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Finals are just around the corner and it’s time to get prepared. Acing all of your finals virtually from home is no easy task. With limitless distractions and other factors outside of your control, this finals season is more daunting than ever. You may not have your favorite spot at the library or your secret study spot on campus this semester but I have some tips for success.

Designate A Study Space

It’s very tempting to attend your Zoom classes and study from your bed, but this is not a good idea. It is so important to differentiate where you relax versus where you get work done. Use a desk, table, or go to a different room entirely. Separating these spaces will allow your brain to set apart study mode and chill mode. 

Ditch The Phone

Your phone always knows how to grab attention. Every notification whether it’s important or insignificant can take your focus away from getting your work done. I suggest leaving your phone in your relaxing space while you go to study. This way your study guide can have your full attention and you don’t accidentally get lost in the depths of TikTok.

Communicate With The People Around You

Whether you are staying at home with your family or are staying in your apartment with roommates right now it is important to let others know when you are studying and when your exams are taking place. This is especially important if your exams are proctored over Zoom. 

Background noise or interruptions are not only annoying but can get you into trouble. If the proctor sees or hears others around you they might get suspicious of some issues regarding academic integrity. Communicate with the people around you when you need to be left alone and when you need a quiet environment. It might also be useful to discuss some quiet hours in your household for studying and testing.

Manage Your Time

I’ve found it extremely helpful to schedule out my entire day the night before. My Virgo brain loves to stay organized and plan my day by the hour. Setting a time to wake up, to eat, to study, and to take breaks has been key for keeping me on track this semester and finals season is no exception. 

Creating times to complete all of your tasks will make you more likely to complete them all. Setting reminders on your phone to let you know when you need to get everything done can be very motivating. It

Take Care Of Yourself 

No matter the circumstances, finals week is always stressful. Although it is important to study your butt off, remember to take care of yourself. Try to go to bed and wake up around the same time each day to set a sleep schedule with enough hours leaving you feeling well-rested and ready to take on your exams. 

When you are feeling overwhelmed take a step back and relax. Go eat a snack and watch an episode of your current TV show to take your mind away from your studies. An overwhelmed brain will leave you mentally drained and won’t help you comprehend all of the course material. Remind yourself to take a deep breath and know we’ll all get through this together.

A virtual finals season is new to everyone so don’t feel alone if you’re starting to stress. There are so many factors out of our control but know we are strong enough to persevere and ace these upcoming exams. Study hard and good luck on your finals!

Jackie Maese is a senior at Penn State majoring in Telecommunications and Theater Studies. If she's not writing at her laptop, you can probably find her cooking up a masterpiece, petting a dog, or eating a New Jersey bagel.
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.